Jira not showing after installation

Eric Van Pyrz February 3, 2014

Just installed Jira on a clean install of CentOS 6 w/ apache on it. I plan to also install conflunence and use virtual hosts to proxy the ports for both applications. However, after installing Jira ad starting the service, I am not able to access the installation through the server's IP w/ the 8080 port. I'm sure I missed something pretty obvious, but any guidance will certainly be appreciated!

Also, for anyone who can recommend certain things to avoid (or make sure to do) when installing both of these applications on the server w/ Apache, let me know!

--Eric

4 answers

1 vote
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 4, 2014

This looks more like ownership/permission problems. Are your directories owned by the same userid that the Jira process is running under? It could be the web server not having the proper access to the Jira directories.

Eric Van Pyrz February 4, 2014

As far as I can tell, yes. I used the express installer, so it created the directories under the "jira" user, right? I'm running the startup script under root.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 4, 2014

Yes, but you need to physically check this. Make sure the directories it's trying to access are all owned by the Jira user, and have full r/w for that user and so-on

Just looked through the jira directory and sub direcories. everything is r/w for the user jira with the exception of "catalina.pid" in the work folder, which is owned by root.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 4, 2014

That could be part of it, that file should also be owned by the jira user.

Eric Van Pyrz February 5, 2014

I think I got to the root of the issue, or at least, one of the big ones. From what I could tell, when I installed Jira, then Confluence, then Stash, I used the automated installer for the first two, which put them both in the same Tomcat container (correct?). I'm not all that familiar with Tomcat unfortunately, but certainly going to do some more reading up now.

So, I have a clean install of CentOS. Is it possible to install Confluence and then Jira using the automated BIN file, but making sure they are two separate Tomcat containers, so they don't interfere with each other?

I checked out this page: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Installing+Confluence+and+JIRA+Together

Which was helpful in explaining the situation, but doesn't go into any detail on making sure to install them so they won't interfere with each other, and they can still play nice.

Thanks gang!

--Eric

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 5, 2014

I'd be surprised if the installers put Jira and Confluence in the same Tomcat - that's explicitly stated as a bad idea on Atlassian's website!

You're absolutely right that they should be separate, and the BIN installers should create completely separate installations (including the Tomcats).

As long as they are installed in different locations (so as a really simple example, /opt/jira and /opt/conf for the installs and /data/jira and /data/conf for their "home" directories) then the only clash you might get is the ports - you need to make sure they listen on different ones. (e.g. Jira on 8080 and confluence on 8090, and Stash on 8075 or something). That's all in the server.xml for each one.

Eric Van Pyrz February 5, 2014

Gotcha. Alrighty, I'm going to follow through again, installing Confluence first this time, to see if that makes a difference, and I'll be sure to verify those ports both applications listen on. I'll be sure to post back one way or another with how things go.

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 3, 2014

Start with a look at the application log file - there are probably warnings or errors in there.

This is what I found in the startup logs:

2014-02-04 20:46:46,920 localhost-startStop-1 INFO [atlassian.jira.startup.JiraStartupLogger] Running JIRA startup checks.

2014-02-04 20:46:46,920 localhost-startStop-1 FATAL [atlassian.jira.startup.JiraStartupLogger] Startup check failed. JIRA will be locked.

2014-02-04 20:46:46,991 localhost-startStop-1 INFO [jira.config.database.SystemDatabaseConfigurationLoader] Reading database configuration from /var/atlassian/application-data/jira/dbconfig.xml

2014-02-04 20:46:47,475 localhost-startStop-1 WARN [jira.config.properties.ApplicationPropertiesStore] Exception getting property 'jira.trustedapps.user.name.transformation.policy.class' from database. Using default

2014-02-04 20:46:48,241 localhost-startStop-1 ERROR [jira.web.dispatcher.JiraWebworkActionDispatcher]

JIRA startup failed, JIRA has been locked.

Feb 04, 2014 8:46:48 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig start

SEVERE: Unable to create directory for deployment: /opt/atlassian/jira/conf/Catalina/localhost

Feb 04, 2014 8:46:48 PM org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol start

INFO: Starting ProtocolHandler ["http-bio-8080"]

Feb 04, 2014 8:46:48 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina start

INFO: Server startup in 18713 ms

0 votes
Sameera Shaakunthala [inactive]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 5, 2014
I don't think express install is a good idea. I think it will definetely work if you install it using tar.gz bundle. Another thing is, it's not a safe practise to run tomcat as root.
0 votes
darylchuah
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 4, 2014

Hi Eric

The stack traces you are facing seems to related to the following knowledege base article:

Please give it a try and see how it goes

Hey Daryl,

Followed those instructions, unfortunately, same issue upon restarting Jira. I'm not sure if this is related, but Confluence is throwing this 500 error...

com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference$InitializationException: java.lang.NullPointerException
	com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference.getInterruptibly(LazyReference.java:149)
	com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference.get(LazyReference.java:112)
	com.atlassian.confluence.setup.ConfluenceEncodingFilter.getGlobalSettings(ConfluenceEncodingFilter.java:45)
	com.atlassian.confluence.setup.ConfluenceEncodingFilter.getEncodingInternal(ConfluenceEncodingFilter.java:35)
	com.atlassian.confluence.setup.ConfluenceEncodingFilter.getEncoding(ConfluenceEncodingFilter.java:27)
	com.atlassian.core.filters.encoding.AbstractEncodingFilter.doFilter(AbstractEncodingFilter.java:38)
	com.atlassian.core.filters.AbstractHttpFilter.doFilter(AbstractHttpFilter.java:31)
	com.atlassian.core.filters.HeaderSanitisingFilter.doFilter(HeaderSanitisingFilter.java:44)
	com.atlassian.confluence.servlet.FourOhFourErrorLoggingFilter.doFilter(FourOhFourErrorLoggingFilter.java:65)

If you think it's worth installing piece by piece overagain on a clean OS install, I can make better notes of what I do, and if the same issue
comes up again, hopefully that can help solve the issue, and anyone else who bumps into similar circumstances.

Let me know what you think.

--Eric

Suggest an answer