Jira migration from v5.1.5 to v7.5.0

Khalid Hussain December 18, 2017

Hi Everyone,

Can you please help on the following:

We have couple Jira server-based systems which running for different teams. Now we wanted to migrate a project from v5.1.5 to v7.5.0.

Can someone please advise me how I can migrate all tickets with comments, attachments etc. to v7 where we have other LIVE projects by other teams?

Thank you in advance!

Regards,

Khalid

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 20, 2017

Ultimately, I think you will want the guide on Restoring a project from a backup.  This explains how you can take a backup file from one Jira instance and use this to populate the data into another Jira instance.  However this process is not trivial.  It can be very complex to make this work because there tends to be a lot of configuration of the destination system that has to happen before you can run this kind of project import.

In this case, you will likely need to upgrade the old 5.1.5 data to 7.0.x (and update all your plugins there) before that data can then be updated to the same version as your destination instance (7.5.0).   The project restore guide notes that these Jira instances should be on the same version in order for this project restore to work correctly.   I would not recommend skipping the 7.0.x upgrade, there have been a lot of changes in that version.   I would also recommend looking into the Upgrade JIRA 7.2 - JIRA Knowledge Base - Atlassian Documentation for more details on upgrading older versions like these.

Suggest an answer