Jira mentions - how to use them with customers

Peter Meier November 27, 2014

Hi

I was searching all over the place, found different information and tested things myself in JIRA but - ultimately - didn't find the right solution, maybe someone in the community can help?

The requirement is simple: We are working with different customers (user groups) in different JIRA projects. The @mention feature is very helpful when it comes to keep people updated. Unfortunately, this only seems to work (and as it is always documented) with the global permission "Browse Users". The problem in this case: I don't want my customers to see the other customers.

I found another post stating that, if one knows the username of another user, he could use the notation

[~username]

on one hand, this seems to work in terms of showing the right user in the comment but this user won't receive a notification email.

So the question is: Is there a way to use mentions while not necessarily let all users see the other users?

(see also: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/Mentions+are+Not+Working+in+JIRA for the requirements and the comment "Do not forget to check whether mentioning user in security level members list or not")

Thank you very much, regards

Peter

1 answer

0 votes
Jose M.
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 27, 2014

If you want to send an information to an user, I would suggest to add him as watcher. In this case you would need the permission to manage watchers.

Peter Meier December 1, 2014

Thanks Jose - good idea. Will most probably do this if mentions are not possible. Thanks a lot, regards Peter

Suggest an answer