Jira marking issues as fixed automatically

Masaishi Yoshikawa December 2, 2013

Hi,

I'm a little bit lost about a Jira's behavior.

First, when I create a new issue, its pkey is shown with a strike-through on Jira's board, as seen in image below.

It looks like I have already fixed the issue, but when I visit the issue page, the resolution is "Unresolved".

Second, in some cases, evey time I edit an issue, it is marked automatically as fixed. Once it is fixed, I can't change back to Unresolved.

What did I do and what Could I do to fix this?

Thank you!

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 2, 2013

I suspect an inexperienced administrator has done one or both of these things:

1. Put the resolution field on the Create screen (This breaks it because when the field is offered to the user, it ALWAYS sets the resolution to something. You can't blank it out)

2. Added a resolution called "unresolved". Which breaks Jira because it's NOT unresolved. It's just a string and Jira doesn't care what the content is, it's either unresolved (field empty) or resolved (field not empty)

First, correct the screen, remove the field from all screens except those where you need to set it (i.e. resolve/close).

Second, delete "unresolved" from the list of resolutions

Third, talk to your admins to educate them about these behaviours, so they don't make the mistakes again.

It *could* also be a listener or post-function - if the field isn't on the create screen, then check the workflow post-functions and listeners for something that might be setting it.

Thank you, Nick!

I'll forward your suggestion.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 2, 2013

It's just a list of things that might be wrong that we've seen a few times before here - let us all know if it's none of them!

It was the first one!

Removed Resolution field from edit screen and now it's working fine!

Thank you again.

Suggest an answer