Jira linked-issues are canceled in the middle.

tomtom October 21, 2015

Hey there,

i have added a new workflow to my local JIRA system. There is a new step called "ready to test". The workflow is like this:

open issue - start progress - ready to test - tested - resolved - close

When I start progress of that issue and link this issue in another issue everything is ok. But when i click on "ready to test" the issue link in the other issue is canceled in the middle. Why that?

It should only be canceled when the issue is resolved or closed. I have already looked in the post-functions of the "ready to test" properties but could not find anything.

Can someone help me?

Thanks a lot.

With cancelled in the middle i mean this—>> testesttesttest

Its when you use the comment function of an issue and type in the name of your issue. Then a link will be created and you can click on that link to get to your linked issue.

3 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 22, 2015

Ah, right, the question was amended so that it makes sense now (which doesn't help because watchers don't get notified)

Those issues have been resolved.  Something, or someone, is resolving the issues for you.  If it's happening when you are editing the issue directly, then it's likely that someone has added the "resolution" field to the edit screen - that's bad because it will set the resolution, you need to remove that immediately.  If it's not that, then there's a post-function or listener doing it.

0 votes
Tini Good
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 22, 2015

You'll find that these JIRAs have their issue key "struck through" throughout the system, not just on linked issues.  This indicates the Issue has a Resolution assigned, not that it is canceled or has completed its workflow.  I believe that is just a built-in function of the system that can't be changed. 

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 21, 2015

What does "cancelled in the middle" mean here? 

They're struck out when the keys are listed?  They move to a status of "cancelled in the middle"? 

Also, when you are "linking" issues, do you mean issue links, or sub-tasks?

Suggest an answer