Jira limiting board creation

Nick Postma March 18, 2014

We're currently using Jira and have a lot of projects 30+ and boards 40+.

We use both Kanban and Scrum boards.

The things is, that right now everybody is allowed to create a new board.

What happens is that lots of people create their own board with a personal filter, just because they think that's handy. And when people start creating their own boards they just name it according to their name convention.

We, as administrators, are trying to make sure each team has 1 board, but we can't force it.

So my question is, is there any option in Jira that only lets Jira sys admins create new boards? That way we could have a little control over the creation of boards and give all boards about the same name...

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 18, 2014

from the docs -

Before you begin, please note that you will need the JIRA 'Create Shared Objects' global permission before you can create a board.

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 18, 2014

But i feel, atlassian should have a separate Agile board create permissions as it's tightly coupled to other stuff which is just so "uncool"!

Create Shared Objects

Permission to share a filter or dashboard globally or with groups of users. Also used to control who can create a JIRA Agile board.

0 votes
Nick Postma March 19, 2014

Thanks for your fast answer. It's not totally what I hoped for...since a lot of people already have their own filters and dashboards.

I don't want to change all that again.

But thanks, we'll discuss internally what our next step will be.

Suggest an answer