Jira licensing conflicts if I want to experiment with disaster recovery, upgrading, etc?

Fabregas4 October 29, 2019

We're a small office running Atlassian tools in a Ubuntu Server VM. Jira (with some licensed addons), Confluence, Fisheye/Crucible, and Crowd. There's application links between these tools as well as non-Atlassian tools. We have a per-user server license.

There's 2 tasks I'd like to do, at my own pace, but I'm wondering what happens with regards to the license for each scenario:

1) I want to test recovery in case something bad happens. This means copying the Atlassian VM to a different computer with a disconnected network, changing the network settings to avoid conflicts with the active system, putting it back on the network, restoring the latest data backup and see if everything works, including Crowd authentication for Jira, links to other apps, etc. What happens when Atlassian detects I'm running 2 systems with the same license?

2) Every tool is really ancient, and once I'm confident in handling disaster recovery, I'd like to upgrade all tools to the latest version. I would do this in a brand new VM, installing the tools one by one, importing their data, adjusting import scripts as necessary (likely too many addons for it to go smoothly), etc., until everything is working and in sync and I can finally decommission the old VM. Same situation as scenario 1, what happens to the current system and license while I'm doing all this experimenting?

Essentially, I need to test parallel Jira installations, and wondering if licensing conflicts could cause issues on the active system.

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Alexis Robert
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 29, 2019

Hi @Fabregas4 , 

as long as you're not using a licence on two different production environment, you'll be fine. For your specific use-case, you can simply go to my.atlassian.com and get a Developer Licence as shown here:

61c52390496f6495341c458ab8ec21ffeb82629a.png

You can then apply this licence to your test instances. 

You should also remember to change all your tools database settings, otherwise they will try to get conneection to your production databases (you don't want that !).

Let me know if this helps, 

--Alexis

Fabregas4 October 29, 2019

Thanks, the developer license solves everything!

Suggest an answer