Jira license upgrade

Mark McWhinney May 15, 2013

Our company is rapidly growing. We have used up to the 100 user level on Jira, Greenhopper, and Git. We now need to upgrade.

The next level up is 500 users for $10,000. That is a pretty big step up. There should be another level or two such as 250 users.

The real pisser is that we have to walk away from the money we spent on the 100-user licenses six months ago. According to the sales rep, the "upgrade" is really just a whole new license as if we were a new customer. Is that true? If so, that is a really bad policy.

7 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 21, 2013

Hi Mark, I did that upgrade from 100 users to 500 users maybe 6 months ago and in my case it did took count of the license I already purchased with the 100 users license, like as @Nic said.

In my case I used the Commercial license, not the Enterprise. If you upgrade to Enterprise that won't count your previous license, because it's like a new product, with a different cost.

Cheers.

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 21, 2013
2 votes
Mark McWhinney May 21, 2013

I do not know of any other company that does not give credit for existing licenses when upgrading. Atlassian has us over a barrel, so I'll be popping another $10,000 today. That is a major loss of karma.

2 votes
DreK
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 15, 2013

Hi Mike,

Thanks for raising this and happy to hear that your team is growing!

You'll be pleased to note that there is another upgrade option available which is a JIRA 500 users commercial license. The cost for this $6000 and includes 12 months of maintenance that starts the day you purchase it. The $10,000 upgrade is to Atlassian Enterprise for JIRA which includes Enterprise level 24X7 phone support as well as other benefits.

I understand that you are disappointed that there is no 250 user tier, we do hear this from time to time. This is a deliberate decision to prevent customers from having to upgrade repeatedly. This saves Atlassian administration costs which keeps prices low and also prevents unnecessary headaches for customers.

I hope this explains. If you have other questions, please write us at sales@atlassian.com.

Ken Wood
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 23, 2013

On the other hand, there are many small companies that grow past 100 users, but will never, ever, reach 500 users. I know of companies in business for 10 more more years with 250 to 275 employees the entire decade. They will never have 500 employees. They need at least one license grade between 100 and 500.

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 24, 2013

Maybe... But again if you have 250 user tier and you need 275... You are with the same... In that case there should be a system like adding a bunch more for a little more price, to have more round user tier according to your company. Like $X for X users.

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 15, 2013

Doesn't help with the main problem of the jump in numbers, but the last time I had to increase the number of users, the money spent on the existing users was included. To follow your example, I had 100 users and needed 500, but I only had to pay for 400, as I'd already got 100.

0 votes
Ingvar Örn July 22, 2014

I agree as well, there should be additional tier(s) between 100 and 500 users. We are a company of approximately 130 users and will not grow much further. Currently paying for 500-user licenses for 4 products, i.e. Confluence, Jira, Agile, and Crowd.

Having to pay for 500 users instead of perhaps 200 is a major obstacle in purchasing more Atlassian products like Jira Service Desk, and add-ons like f.x. Gliffy diagramming tool

I noticed last week on Atlassian web site (https://www.atlassian.com/licensing/confluence) an introduction of a new tier. In the license table there was a tier of 101-250 users with a cost of "Coming soon" message. Now this line has been removed :(

0 votes
Mark McWhinney May 15, 2013

Maybe it is a clueless customer rep, but the on-line license upgrade process appears to confirm that the "upgrade" is really just a new license purchase.

0 votes
Ken Wood
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 15, 2013

I agree. A jump from 100 users to 500 users is not reasonable. Same issue with Bamboo remote agents, where the jump is from 25 remote agents to 100 remote agents. And, agree that not prorating the existing license to a new license for an upgrade is not customer friendly.

Suggest an answer