Jira language : Systeminfo shows different values than global configuration

we use a Jira 5.2 which language is 100% german.

The systemifo says that the Jira users language is set to english. In the global configuration the language is set to german. Why does this happen?

Is there a workarround so that we can convince the systeminfo to show us the real settings? We think that here is the reason for the strange behaviour of one of our plugins.

I already checked the jira documentation and with a searchengine the internet but I found nothing helpful.

Has anyone an idea?

3 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

Hi Peter.

one guess would be to check your linux system locale setting.

if you use a unprivileged user to start your jira check this users locale.

you can also tell the JVM wich systemlanguage to use by adding a parameter to your setenv.sh.

look for

JVM_SUPPORT_RECOMMENDED_ARGS="" and replace it with

JVM_SUPPORT_RECOMMENDED_ARGS="-Duser.language=de -Duser.country=DE"

i used to do this too before...but for english system language.

note: you need to restart Jira for this settings to take effect

Hello C,

the LOCALE are OK, I already checked them.

thank you for the JVM parameter. I will try this. May you tell me where you find them? In the official documention ( https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Setting+Properties+and+Options+on+Startup ) I miss the Duser.language and Duser.country parameter. I guess these parameters came along with every JVM, don't they?

Best Regards, Kai

these settings are working fine, I just tested them in our staging system :-)

Hi Peter,

if you have change the default & indexing Language to german you most perform a re-index.

Check > System > Adnavced > Indexing

Regards,

Michael

Hi Michael,

thank you for the fast answer. this is an old system (we made several updates) and everything is set to german since ever. We reindex once week as a minimum. I forgot: The Linux behind the Jira is an actual CentOS 6

Thomas Schlegel Community Champion May 30, 2013

Hi Peter,

is the English language set in your user profile ? Have you seen this page: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Editing+User+Settings#EditingUserSettings-language

Cheers

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted yesterday in New to Jira

Are you planning to trial, or are currently trialling Jira Software? - We want to talk to you!

Hello! I'm Rayen, a product manager at Atlassian. My team and I are working hard to improve the trial experience for Jira Software Cloud. We are interested in   talking to 20 people planning t...

55 views 1 0
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you