Jira issue filter contain text with partial words

Bernat Casero October 12, 2014

On issue navigator there is a text box to filter issues. When I put an incomplete word (ie: inter) searcher show no results. There are issues with International word on subject.

Can I change the behaviour of this text box to allow incomplete word search?

regards

9 answers

1 accepted

20 votes
Answer accepted
Geert Graat
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 12, 2014

Hi,

You can search using the CONTAINS operator. So for example:

summary ~ "inter*"

Regards,

Geert

Bernat Casero October 14, 2014

perfect! it woks wink

Like # people like this
Lewis Chilton February 7, 2017

It does need speech marks or asterisk;

summary ~ inter

Should work fine as it automatically searches using the contains operator.

james_mckean April 30, 2021

That works if your search term begins with a known value, but not is the value is embedded inside the string, because a search term cannot begin with a wildcard.  If you are looking for "something-345-something" and the only think you know is 345 then text ~ "*345*" does not work.  I am not sure how to find that.

5 votes
michael shelnutt November 30, 2016

Geert 

This is not working for me at all....

I have a Summary field that has the text of DEF_LIST_272 Foo Bar   

I want to find my issue by looking for 272

If I use summary ~ "272*"  I get no results back

In fact , if I use 

summary ~ "DEF_LIST_*"   I still get no results back

if I use 

summary ~ "DEF_LIST_272" I get results back.

So is there a real CONTAINS feature (i.e. contains the text, like GREP does)?

Christopher Pearson July 24, 2017

I was having he same issue with a simalare keyword search. This is what i had to do to make it work. It appears it doesn't match up if it has underscores (dont think that is the only case it cant find the keyword...). So i broke it up into several phrases. Also, the '*' doesn't seem to work even thou they say to use it on their guide...

change: Summary ~ 'DEF_LIST_272'

to: Summary ~'DEF_' AND Summary ~'LIST_' AND Summary ~ '272'

This will probably return you some extra items but will also bring back the results you are looking for.

Nithin Balachandran August 3, 2018

It worked well for me !! I used  summary ~ "Text"

Like Jiri Truhlar likes this
Deleted user April 12, 2019

I had the same problem. The search in JIRA is sadly not that good. Wanted to search for a number in a string, e.g. test123 and couldn't find it with any option. Of course you can try like Christopher Pearson said, but you really have to know the whole string and not only a part of it.

There is an add-on called Power JQL (https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1216891/power-jql-extended-search-functions?hosting=server&tab=overview) from our company which can solve this problem. For your issue michael shellnutt try following jql search

for issue in powerIssue("summary", ".*272.*")

This gives the result you desire.The add-on can improve the jql search also by using  RegEx in its full potential. You can also search for attachments on issues.

1 vote
David Tefft October 2, 2019

I know this issue is a bit old but I ran into it myself and found this works best for me.  This only works if you have Adaptist Scriptrunner installed.  This does mean you have a dependency on Scriptrunner but it has so many useful features it's totally worth it.

This will do a partial search for 272.  It doesn't matter if the string 272 is at the beginning, middle or end.  It also allows for regular expressions.

issueFunction in issueFieldMatch("project = SM", "summary", "272")
0 votes
Quentin CHEVALIER November 25, 2020

Hi,

Note that you need to escape some  caracters, like the "[". Maybe because the operator "~" is base on regex?

For exemple if you want look for "[KEY]" you need to write : summary ~ "\\[KEY\\]"

Łukasz Uliasz April 23, 2021

when I write 

summary ~ "\\[KEY\\]"

Jira also finds results that have "KEY" not surrounded by "[" and "]" :(

Edit: Nevermind, I found in Jira documentation that "Special characters aren’t stored in the index, which means you can’t search for them. The index only keeps text and numbers (...)" 😞

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwareserver087/search-syntax-for-text-fields-998873824.html 

0 votes
ahmed.belhadj October 24, 2019

Hello Folks :)
Actually, noticed that if the search string contains part of the word, the search fails (does not return result).
So, I think this is a bug that Atlassian should fix.
Example :

project = "Orange Reunion" AND summary ~ "COMREQ_" ==> Does not return any result
project = "Orange Reunion" AND summary ~ "COMREQ_BUS_040" ==> returns result

Knowing that the searched case hase a summary :

"COMREQ_BUS_040 Achat Gérer des prospects - Storing shopping carts of prospect customers" without the ""

0 votes
Peter Schmidtke October 15, 2019

sort of sad that you need always third party tools (that are quite expensive as well) to do all of these basic things :(

0 votes
Reg Hawkins March 28, 2019

project = <projectname>AND issuetype = Task AND summary !~ "FT Manual testing" AND summary ~ "Manual testing"

This searches the summary and removes all the tasks that contain "FT Manual testing", if I d "Manual testing" I get all the issues that also include FT.

The only drawback with this approach is that I am relying on the summary being consistent.

0 votes
Richard Smart March 11, 2019

Just noticed this does not work if you use [ ] - I get an error returned of text query '[text here]*' for field 'summary' is not valid: probably your range query is incorrect.

0 votes
suresh Jayaraman January 6, 2017

Following

Suggest an answer