Jira issue creation from external emails

francesca chevry October 26, 2014

Hello,

I've setup a mail handler, which allows users to email this email account which then creates a JIRA issue in a specific project. However, it doesn't work from external emails(such as gmail). The error that I get is: 

Found 5 message(s) in the imap folder.
Report (email@gmail.com) does not have permission to create an issue. Message rejected.

The only solution around this that I've found is to have JIRA create an account for those users. However, I cannot afford to do this due to limitted licences. Any way around this? 

I've tried setting up an anonymous user and set it as the reporter for that mail handler, but still no luck. 

Thank you

3 answers

0 votes

Hello Juan,

What would you advise then on the proper way to do this? I agree it doesn't sound safe. However, we wanted one of our customers to be able to create new issue in one of our JIRA project. 

Thank you

Juan Felipe Cardona
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 26, 2014

Hello francesca I think I understand what you need. You could try this. Create a specific user for your customer with the real email, but don't give access to the application (no JIRA license assigned to that user). Then add that user to your project roles so that it has all the needed permissions to create an issue. That should work. For testing, you can first do the same with another user with your email (not your company email, but your personal email for example), and simulate what your customer would do.

0 votes

Hello Davy,

I've done exactly that before, but it still doesn't work:

Create Issues
Ability to create issues.
  • Group (jcubehelp_admins_global)
  • Group (jcubehelp_users_global)
  • Single User (anonymous user)
Juan Felipe Cardona
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 26, 2014

Add it to the browse project permission as well. After it works ask yourself if your really want that that behavior in your JIRA. Remember that doing so someone could attack your email sending thousands of emails and they will become unwanted JIRA issues in your project.

0 votes
davy
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 26, 2014

Hi Francesca,

make sure the anonymous user has issue create permissions in the linked project

Suggest an answer