Jira is not updated when GIT reference is changed

Robert G. Nadon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 28, 2017

Hi All,

I have Jira and Git Hub Tied together and working great.  When a Jira is referenced in Git Hub it will appear under the development tab in Jira and everyone is happy :-)   

However, one issue or lack of know how on my part is holding us back a little.    IF a Git Hub Pull request is created called "KEY-123 fix for that pesky problem", the code is fix and the request is committed.  Jira KEY-123 reflects all this.   

Then at this time It was realized OOOPs it was suppose to reference KEY-132 not KEY-123, and so we go into the request and change it to now be "KEY-132 fix for that pesky problem"

However Jira still has KEY-123 with the development tab and nothing under KEY-132.   Is there anyway to get this is to change and now be reflected under the correct JIRA?

Thank in Advance,

Robert

2 answers

1 vote
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 29, 2017

Robert, generally speaking, it is wiser not to change the commit message of published Git commits as it will change the history and people who cloned your commit will have difficulties...

Even GitHub suggests avoiding that for a good reason: https://help.github.com/articles/changing-a-commit-message/#amending-older-or-multiple-commit-messages

A better idea is reducing the chance of writing wrong issue keys to the commit message. (We are doing this and built a JIRA app for this.) Our Commit Policy app implements this and other checks on your commits: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.midori.jira.plugin.jira-commit-policy-plugin/server/overview

0 votes
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 30, 2017

Robert, I saw you upvoted the answer, but if you think that the GitHub advice is correct, you should hit the checkmark at the answer, so that other users will see that.

Robert G. Nadon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 30, 2017

Yes I up-voted the answer as the answer was clear and concise.  However, I only click it as answered when the answer is actually what we need.   The problem is that Jira does not point to the correct GIT record.    Your solution was not to put the wrong one in there in the first place, which really doesn't help as the wrong one has already been placed there.  So our problem is still a problem.  I do appreciate the time and effort to help me though.  I truly do.

Suggest an answer