Jira is not starting, catalina.out fail message has file not found error

chris horton October 9, 2019

It appears that the java file has an extra "bin" in it:

/usr/java/jdk1.8.0_221/bin/bin/java

where do I change the config to only have the correct location of my java?

/usr/java/jdk1.8.0_221/bin/java

1 answer

0 votes
Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 10, 2019

@chris horton 

A little history will help.

• Did this happen after a fresh install or an upgrade?
  • If an upgrade did you have any customizations on the previous version?
  • Usually Jira has 2 important directories install ,and home
  • Can you provide the whole error line of course after removing any confidential info?

In Linux, assuming you didn't customize your directories:

Install is under /opt/ 

Home Directory is under /var/

Best,

Fadoua

chris horton October 11, 2019

Hi Fadoua,

Thanks for your response.

I'm trying to setup a staging environment. I've inherited this installation that has been customized over time and does not have default directories.

I have JAVA_HOME set to /usr/java/jdk1.8.0_221

I've downloaded an new version of jira and can get it to start with that JAVA_HOME and it has the correct path to java "/usr/java/jdk1.8.0_221/bin/java" but the staging jira is adding an extra "/bin" in the path. An idea where it is coming from?

lines from catalina.out that seem to be the problem:

Error: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine.
Error: A fatal exception has occurred. Program will exit.
Invalid maximum heap size: -Xmx4096m
The specified size exceeds the maximum representable size.
/opt/atlassian/current-atlassian/jira/bin/catalina.sh: line 476: /usr/java/jdk1.8.0_221/bin/bin/java: No such file or directory
/opt/atlassian/current-atlassian/jira/bin/catalina.sh: line 476: /usr/java/jdk1.8.0_221/bin/bin/java: No such file or directory

lines from setenv.sh where I was thinking the problem might be:

#
# One way to set the JIRA HOME path is here via this variable. Simply uncomment it and set a valid path like /jira/home. You can of course set it outside in the command termi$
#
JIRA_HOME="/apps/atlassian-home/was_apps/Upgrade-Jira/ApplicationData/JIRA/"

#
# Occasionally Atlassian Support may recommend that you set some specific JVM arguments. You can use this variable below to do that.
#
JVM_SUPPORT_RECOMMENDED_ARGS=""

#
# The following 2 settings control the minimum and maximum given to the JIRA Java virtual machine. In larger JIRA instances, the maximum amount will need to be increased.
#
JVM_MINIMUM_MEMORY="2048m"
JVM_MAXIMUM_MEMORY="4096m"

#
# The following setting configures the size of JVM code cache. A high value of reserved size allows Jira to work with more installed apps.
#
JVM_CODE_CACHE_ARGS='-XX:InitialCodeCacheSize=32m -XX:ReservedCodeCacheSize=512m'

#
# The following are the required arguments for JIRA.
#
JVM_REQUIRED_ARGS='-Djava.awt.headless=true -Datlassian.standalone=JIRA -Dorg.apache.jasper.runtime.BodyContentImpl.LIMIT_BUFFER=true -Dmail.mime.decodeparameters=true -Dorg.do$

# Uncomment this setting if you want to import data without notifications
#
DISABLE_NOTIFICATIONS=" -Datlassian.notifications.disabled=true -Datlassian.mail.senddisabled=true -Datlassian.mail.fetchdisabled=true -Datlassian.mail.popdisabled=true"

#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#
# In general don't make changes below here
#
#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

# Prevents the JVM from suppressing stack traces if a given type of exception
# occurs frequently, which could make it harder for support to diagnose a problem.
JVM_EXTRA_ARGS="-XX:-OmitStackTraceInFastThrow -Djava.locale.providers=COMPAT"
PRGDIR=`dirname "$0"`
cat "${PRGDIR}"/jirabanner.txt

JIRA_HOME_MINUSD=""
if [ "$JIRA_HOME" != "" ]; then
echo $JIRA_HOME | grep -q " "
if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
echo ""
echo "--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------"
echo " WARNING : You cannot have a JIRA_HOME environment variable set with spaces in it. This variable is being ignored"
echo "--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------"
else
JIRA_HOME_MINUSD=-Djira.home=$JIRA_HOME
fi
fi

JAVA_OPTS="-Xms${JVM_MINIMUM_MEMORY} -Xmx${JVM_MAXIMUM_MEMORY} ${JVM_CODE_CACHE_ARGS} ${JAVA_OPTS} ${JVM_REQUIRED_ARGS} ${DISABLE_NOTIFICATIONS} ${JVM_SUPPORT_RECOMMENDED_ARGS}$

export JAVA_OPTS

# DO NOT remove the following line
JAVA_HOME="/usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.8.0_221"; export JAVA_HOME

echo ""
echo "If you encounter issues starting or stopping JIRA, please see the Troubleshooting guide at https://docs.atlassian.com/jira/jadm-docs-081/Troubleshooting+installation"
echo ""
if [ "$JIRA_HOME_MINUSD" != "" ]; then
echo "Using JIRA_HOME: $JIRA_HOME"
fi

# set the location of the pid file
if [ -z "$CATALINA_PID" ] ; then
if [ -n "$CATALINA_BASE" ] ; then
CATALINA_PID="$CATALINA_BASE"/work/catalina.pid
elif [ -n "$CATALINA_HOME" ] ; then
CATALINA_PID="$CATALINA_HOME"/work/catalina.pid
fi
fi
export CATALINA_PID

if [ -z "$CATALINA_BASE" ]; then

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 13, 2019

@chris horton 

I see an Error related to the Heap.

How much RAM do you have on the server?

Because your heap can not exceed the RAM.

Let's try this very important step, as Heap is critical and I see the error couple times on the logs.

Best,

Fadoua

Suggest an answer