Jira is not recognising my upload from CSV of multiple choice answer

Mo July 2, 2015

Hi,

Looked through the comments and don't know if this has been answered.

I'm creating a CSV template for some analysts, they would need to fill it and I then do a bulk upload to Jira.

I want to upload them as defects. The issue I'm facing is:

I have a label when filling out a defect and I want to select one of the options, so for example I have a label called 'Label A' and it has 3 options in a list.

In the excel file I put the top row as 'Label A' and under it for one of the entries I put the full name of one of the options on JIRA, for example 'Option A'. But I write this in the excel file as : Option A

But after uploading it does not recognise this and returns a validation error.

This is the same for a tick box label, for e.g. 'Label B'

I put the label heading in to excel and put the text of one of the label options in the excel file, but it still returns a validation error...?

However any text that I put up, (Something that requires free text and is not a multiple option) like for example 'Summary', I would put any random text e.g. 'abcd', and this will validate fine.

So my question is, what am I doing wrong with the way I'm formatting my CSV for when I upload answers to multiple choice parts of a defect....?

This is the defect on JIRA that I'm trying to upload for:

image2015-7-3 10:53:42.png

Scope Type for example is a multiple choice tickbox, this is what I have in the csv file that I upload:

image2015-7-3 10:55:3.png

However after uploading and mapping in JIRA it comes back with a validation error.

____________________________________________________________________________________

After uploading a csv file from notepad like this:

image2015-7-3 15:14:46.png

I still have this validation error.... sad :

image2015-7-3 15:14:27.png

2 answers

0 votes
pborkowski
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 3, 2015

Hey,

I'm having difficulties in reproducing your problem. Here's what I am doing to import issues with Checkboxes filled in.

1. I have added a Checkbox custom field (Some Type) to my project, it has two options "Option A" and "Option B" so my project creation screen looks like this:
    Zaznaczenie_135.png
  2. Then I've prepared a simple CSV file:

Summary,Some Type
    Oranges,Option A
    Apples ,Option B
  3. Then I started a non-admin CSV Importer (Issues -> Import issues from CSV), I choose my field mapping as on the screen below:

Zaznaczenie_136.png

4. Then I run validation/import and everything seems to work flawlessly.

In your case please make sure that:

• Your Custom Field "Scope Type" is a standard JIRA Custom Field (e.g: Checkboxes) if it comes from 3rd party plugin that is not maintained by Atlassian, than we cannot guarantee it correctness during import
  • If you are using excel, please remember to save file as CSV

Mo July 3, 2015

Hi I have saved the file as CSV, and even though I do have an issue with the checkbox ( the one I state and the one I have provided screenshots) I think there is an issue on how I am formatting the CSV? I'm not to sure

pborkowski
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 3, 2015

Can you try first some small import with manually created CSV file (e.g: in notepad)? So we can rule out that the problem is in file format. Try for example file: Summary,Issue Type,Scope Type 30229, Defect, BTD Scope (just as on your screenshot)

Mo July 3, 2015

Hey, I s please see.added some more screen shot

pborkowski
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 3, 2015

Make a second line out of the values, so the second line starts from 30229, just as in my comment above.

Mo July 3, 2015

still issues *Sigh :( ........ I added a screenshot

Joel August 19, 2015

Don't use spaces in the second line after commas

Arnab Sur September 6, 2015

hi .. were you able to upload the csv after those changes? I'm finding similar issues and not able to upload the csv file :-(

0 votes
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 2, 2015

Can you provide screenshots for extra information and what not

Suggest an answer