Jira is not coming up because of no startupdatabase.xml file & import folder

Vamshi Mylaram July 8, 2017

I'm getting this issue during the installation of JIRA Server in my local machine. As the import folder is not getting created during the installation it is giving this error. Please let me know if you need more information.

Cause

java.lang.RuntimeException: java.nio.file.NoSuchFileException: /Applications/atlassian-jira-software-7.4.0-standalone/atlassian-jira/import/startupdatabase.xml
java.lang.RuntimeException: java.nio.file.NoSuchFileException: /Applications/atlassian-jira-software-7.4.0-standalone/atlassian-jira/import/startupdatabase.xml
	at com.atlassian.jira.startup.DatabaseInitialImporter.copyStartupXmlIntoHome(DatabaseInitialImporter.java:95) [classes/:?]
	at com.atlassian.jira.startup.DatabaseInitialImporter.importInitialData(DatabaseInitialImporter.java:52) [classes/:?]
	at com.atlassian.jira.startup.DatabaseInitialImporter.importInitialData(DatabaseInitialImporter.java:48) [classes/:?]
	at com.atlassian.jira.web.action.setup.SetupDatabase.doDefault(SetupDatabase.java:141) [classes/:?]
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) [?:1.8.0_91]
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62) [?:1.8.0_91]
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43) [?:1.8.0_91]
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498) [?:1.8.0_91]
	at webwork.util.InjectionUtils$DefaultInjectionImpl.invoke(InjectionUtils.java:70) [webwork-1.4-atlassian-30.jar:?]
	at webwork.util.InjectionUtils.invoke(InjectionUtils.java:56) [webwork-1.4-atlassian-30.jar:?]
	at webwork.action.ActionSupport.invokeCommand(ActionSupport.java:438) [webwork-1.4-atlassian-30.jar:?]
	at webwork.action.ActionSupport.execute(ActionSupport.java:157) [webwork-1.4-atlassian-30.jar:?]
	at com.atlassian.jira.action.JiraActionSupport.execute(JiraActionSupport.java:63) [jira-api-7.4.0.jar:?]
	at webwork.interceptor.DefaultInterceptorChain.proceed(DefaultInterceptorChain.java:39) [webwork-1.4-atlassian-30.jar:?]
	at webwork.interceptor.NestedInterceptorChain.proceed(NestedInterceptorChain.java:31) [webwork-1.4-atlassian-30.jar:?]
	at webwork.interceptor.ChainedInterceptor.intercept(ChainedInterceptor.java:16) [webwork-1.4-atlassian-30.jar:?]
	at webwork.interceptor.DefaultInterceptorChain.proceed(DefaultInterceptorChain.java:35) [webwork-1.4-atlassian-30.jar:?]
	at webwork.dispatcher.GenericDispatcher.executeAction(GenericDispatcher.java:225) [webwork-1.4-atlassian-30.jar:?]
	at webwork.dispatcher.GenericDispatcher.executeAction(GenericDispatcher.java:154) [webwork-1.4-atlassian-30.jar:?]
	at com.atlassian.jira.web.dispatcher.JiraWebworkActionDispatcher.service(JiraWebworkActionDispatcher.java:138) [classes/:?]
	at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:729) [servlet-api.jar:?]
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:230) [catalina.jar:8.5.6]
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745) [?:1.8.0_91]
Caused by: java.nio.file.NoSuchFileException: /Applications/atlassian-jira-software-7.4.0-standalone/atlassian-jira/import/startupdatabase.xml
	at sun.nio.fs.UnixException.translateToIOException(UnixException.java:86) [?:1.8.0_91]
	at sun.nio.fs.UnixException.rethrowAsIOException(UnixException.java:102) [?:1.8.0_91]
	at sun.nio.fs.UnixException.rethrowAsIOException(UnixException.java:107) [?:1.8.0_91]
	at sun.nio.fs.UnixFileSystemProvider.newByteChannel(UnixFileSystemProvider.java:214) [?:1.8.0_91]
	at java.nio.file.spi.FileSystemProvider.newOutputStream(FileSystemProvider.java:434) [?:1.8.0_91]
	at java.nio.file.Files.newOutputStream(Files.java:216) [?:1.8.0_91]
	at java.nio.file.Files.copy(Files.java:3016) [?:1.8.0_91]
	at com.atlassian.jira.startup.DatabaseInitialImporter.copyStartupXmlIntoHome(DatabaseInitialImporter.java:92) [classes/:?]
	... 254 more

6 answers

2 votes
Manohar Dondlapally October 4, 2017

I found a workaround.

I created a sub-directory import under atlassian-jira

I copied startupdatabase.xml from atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/classes 

to  atlassian-jira/import/  directory.

Stopped and re-started the JIRA using  ./startup.sh

Worked like a charm. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 4, 2017

The cause of the problem remains the permissions on the files.  It's a known problem when people don't follow the installation guide.

hmm.. I am facing the same now :(

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 4, 2017

I know of two ways to replicate it on a Mac.

1.  Get the permissions wrong by running it as the wrong user, or by having the wrong permissions on the installation directory. 

Best option is mentioned in the docs (the last time I followed them anyway).  Install while logged in as an admin, but not start the service immediately.  Quit the root account and swap to the account you're going to run it as, and start it with that.

2.  Telling the installer to put the installation and home directories in the same place.  e.g. /opt/jira for both, or /opt/jira and /opt/jira/install.  I usually do something like /data/jirahome and /data/jirainstall - keep them separate.

0 votes
k sg*/ June 24, 2018

Same problem on OS X Sierra with 7.10.1

Henrik_Axelson March 23, 2020

did anyone solve this amazing that this error occurs for a just a basic installation

0 votes
Darya Akbari June 14, 2018

Same problem on Windows 8.1 with JIRA 7.10.1 

0 votes
Markus Blaschka February 13, 2018

I have the same problem here on Mac OS HighSierra (10.13.3) and Jira 7.7.1 - any new ideas or solutions?

Screenshot 2018-02-13 18.25.13.jpeg

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 13, 2018

What have you selected for your jira home directory?

/Applications/atlassian-jira-software-7.7.1-standalone

For the installation, I followed the tipps on 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXLWq5mYYPQ

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 14, 2018

Ok, where did you do the installation?

Markus Blaschka February 14, 2018

On my MacBook, local. No server.

JaeHoon January 14, 2019

change "jira.home" directory (no setup file directory)

0 votes

I am facing the exact issue with the exact error. I have confluence instance in my local. Does that effect any thing relates to JIRA??

java.lang.RuntimeException: java.nio.file.NoSuchFileException: /Users/mdondlap/JIRA/atlassian-jira/import/startupdatabase.xml
java.lang.RuntimeException: java.nio.file.NoSuchFileException: /Users/mdondlap/JIRA/atlassian-jira/import/startupdatabase.xml at com.atlassian.jira.startup.DatabaseInitialImporter.copyStartupXmlIntoHome(DatabaseInitialImporter.java:95) [classes/:?] at com.atlassian.jira.startup.DatabaseInitialImporter.importInitialData(DatabaseInitialImporter.java:52) [classes/:?] at com.atlassian.jira.startup.DatabaseInitialImporter.importInitialData(DatabaseInitialImporter.java:48) [classes/:?] at com.atlassian.jira.web.action.setup.SetupDatabase.doDefault(SetupDatabase.java:141) [classes/:?] at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) [?:1.8.0_131] at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62) [?:1.8.0_131] at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAcc

java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142) [?:1.8.0_131] at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617) [?:1.8.0_131] at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.TaskThread$WrappingRunnable.run(TaskThread.java:61) [tomcat-util.jar:8.5.6] at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748) [?:1.8.0_131] Caused by: java.nio.file.NoSuchFileException: /Users/mdondlap/JIRA/atlassian-jira/import/startupdatabase.xml at sun.nio.fs.UnixException.translateToIOException(UnixException.java:86) [?:1.8.0_131] at sun.nio.fs.UnixException.rethrowAsIOException(UnixException.java:102) [?:1.8.0_131] at sun.nio.fs.UnixException.rethrowAsIOException(UnixException.java:107) [?:1.8.0_131] at sun.nio.fs.UnixFileSystemProvider.newByteChannel(UnixFileSystemProvider.java:214) [?:1.8.0_131] at java.nio.file.spi.FileSystemProvider.newOutputStream(FileSystemProvider.java:434) [?:1.8.0_131] at java.nio.file.Files.newOutputStream(Files.java:216) [?:1.8.0_131] at java.nio.file.Files.copy(Files.java:3016) [?:1.8.0_131] at com.atlassian.jira.startup.DatabaseInitialImporter.copyStartupXmlIntoHome(DatabaseInitialImporter.java:92) [classes/:?] ... 254 more

6 months back I was able to install successfully on WIndows. Mac seems to be the problem. For some reason JIRA is looking for import folder.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 8, 2017

It looks like your installation has not installed all the required files (or some have been removed after install)

Vamshi Mylaram July 10, 2017

Thanks...
I will try reinstalling the jira again

AD September 7, 2017

@Vamshi Mylaram: Did it worked? I am also facing the same issue with my instance.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 12, 2017

Installing it as per instructions usually fixes this issue (although it includes reading the "fine print" - check every detail!)  I would guess that is what Vamshi did.

Gopishankar Haridas September 24, 2017

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- @Vamshi Mylaram @AD

I'm still unable to resolve this issue. I've tried all possible ways.. reinstalling or installing with the steps as available in the website.

I'm not able to install Jira on my local machine. Screen Shot 2017-09-24 at 11.30.17 PM.png

Could you please respond ASAP?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 24, 2017

What does the log say?

Gopishankar Haridas September 24, 2017

It throws the exact stacktrace as @Vamshi Mylaram's. startupdatabase.xml is not found.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 25, 2017

So, the question becomes: what are you doing differently to the instructions?  As other people are using them and getting working systems, we have to question what's different about your process.

Gopishankar Haridas September 25, 2017

I couldn't guess what was wrong. I can walkthrough the steps I used.

As i use a MAC, I downloaded atlassian-jira-software-7.5.0.tar.gz.

I navigate to jira-application.properties under Web-inf directory and set a value for jira-home.

Then I use the terminal and execute the sh bin/startup.sh. Now on hitting localhost:8080, I could find the jira being up and running. 

I then select the first option and click on Continue to Atlassian.

Once jira tries to setup itself, I could find the error as you find in the screenshot with the exact stacktrace as raised by Vamshi.

Can you point me what went wrong? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 25, 2017

Did you create the home directory and permission it correctly?

Yes. I did create a home directory called JiraHome in the desktop and it has the universal permission to read and write.

The Jira directory actually misses the Import folder and the xml file, i could not find them as well.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 26, 2017

I'm sorry, I've made a horrible mistake.  In your previous comment, you said you had set jira-home.

You need to set jira.home

Gopishankar Haridas September 26, 2017

Nic, that was a typo in the comment. Please find below the jira.home I've copied from jira-application.properties file.

jira.home = /Users/gopishankarharidas/Desktop/JiraHome

Gopishankar Haridas September 26, 2017

Would be great if i could get customer support for this issue. It would help me to resolve the issue quickly. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 27, 2017

Ok, so who is the Jira process running as?  And what do you find in that directory after installation?

Gopishankar Haridas September 27, 2017

Please find below the directory breakdown. I couldn't find "Import" folder under "atlassian-jira" folder. Is there anyway to get telephonic assistance and resolve this issue?

Screen Shot 2017-09-27 at 8.44.46 PM.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 27, 2017

That's expected - the directory you are looking at there is the installation directory, not the home directory.

What is under /Users/gopishankarharidas/Desktop/JiraHome ?

Gopishankar Haridas September 27, 2017

Screen Shot 2017-09-27 at 9.26.44 PM.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 27, 2017

Great, and what is in the "import" folder?

More importantly, what user is running Jira?

Gopishankar Haridas October 3, 2017

There is no user running or logged into the JIRA. Can you let me know how to set user for MAC? The command given in the step is not been recognized. I'm new to Linux environment as well. There are two folders - 'Attachments' and 'Mail' inside 'Import' folder and there is nothing inside those.Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 2.28.44 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-10-03 at 2.28.51 PM.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 3, 2017

The user is defined in one of the scripts in <jira install>/bin (it varies between versions, so I can't say which one you have.  Probably set-user.sh)

Suggest an answer