Jira installation stops after database connection

Jordan Baczuk August 7, 2014

I am following the tutorial "Here be Dragons" Stage 1 found here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/ATLAS/Dragons+Stage+1+-+Install+JIRA

I am using a ec2.micro Ubuntu instance on AWS. I am able to install all the software and login to the JIRA setup wizard on the browser remotely, and I can even get a successful database connection test. When I click next, it loads for a while and then all connection is lost. I try to log back in at the main port 8080 and it says webpage unavailable. I don't know what happened, but it appears to now be unavailable via the browser. Any help is appreciated.

7 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Pedro Cora
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 8, 2014

Check the load on the server. JIRA does not run on EC2 Micro instances as they don't have enough memory to properly load the system.

;)

Jordan Baczuk August 8, 2014

Thats what I was wondering. Thanks.

0 votes
Jordan Baczuk August 8, 2014

What do you mean "startup"? It loaded in the browser and everything. I was able to configure and test the database. Then clicked Next, and it sort of "crashed" I guess.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 7, 2014

The Jira log shows it's only just starting up, you need to wait until it finishes startup.

0 votes

I wasn't sure what to look for, so I've uploaded my log files.

(atlassian-jira.log)

(catalina.2014-08-08.log)

(catalina.out.txt)

0 votes

I didn't notice anything so I've uploaded my log files.

(atlassian-jira.log) , (catalina.2014-08-08.log) ,

0 votes
Paresh Gandhi
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 7, 2014

you need to look into catlina.out and atlassian-jira.log files for exact errors.

0 votes
Paresh Gandhi
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 7, 2014

please retag with below if it makes sense

jira jira-installation installation linux

Suggest an answer