Jira incoming mail handler to create jira issues based on certain filtered emails without using JEMH

ashleyg September 23, 2014

Hi,

I need to configure JIRA mail handler in such a way that on my local mailbox when mails of certain type come say on some folder in mailbox then only those mails should create JIRA issues or in other words mails in that particular folder should create JIRA issues.

Is there any way to achieve this without using JEMH?

I read somewhere about local files server while configuring mail handler which prompts for Folder name beneath which is mentioned "This service will retrieve data from [jira.home]/import/mail

I just want to make sure if anything like this is possible without using JEMH.

Please help!!

1 answer

0 votes
Dave Theodore [Coyote Creek Consulting]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 24, 2014

JIRA natively only looks at the "Inbox" folder in an IMAP(S) or POP(S) mailbox.  It ignores all other folders.  You could set up a new mailbox and create a mail handler that points to it.  In your current mailbox, you could create a rule that automagically copies mails from the folder you care about to the new mailbox, and voila! That's probably your easiest way to solve this problem.

ashleyg September 24, 2014

Hi Dave, Is it possible to achieve this using just one mailbox instead of two or any other alternative. Thanks, Ashley

Dave Theodore [Coyote Creek Consulting]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 25, 2014

That is the only option I can think of using stock functionality. You could probably hack Jira's source or maybe write a plugin to look at a specific folder, but then you need to maintain those changes. JEMH is probably cheaper than trying to do it yourself. Sorry :)

Suggest an answer