Jira imap mailbox issue create or comment not working

spherix7 May 17, 2012

Hi,

On just one of our mailboxes it appears that recently the create or comment on issues seems to not be working. Please see a snapshot from the logs, and note that it appears on only one mailbox. I have confirmed the mailbox settings, IE authentication, port, imap IP address and such. Can anyne shed some light on this?

avax.mail.FolderClosedException

at com.sun.mail.imap.IMAPMessage.getProtocol(IMAPMessage.java:149)

at com.sun.mail.imap.IMAPMessage.getHeader(IMAPMessage.java:715)

at com.atlassian.jira.service.services.mail.MailFetcherService.run(MailFetcherService.java:175)

at com.atlassian.jira.service.JiraServiceContainerImpl.run(JiraServiceContainerImpl.java:61)

at com.atlassian.jira.service.ServiceRunner.execute(ServiceRunner.java:48)

at org.quartz.core.JobRunShell.run(JobRunShell.java:191)

at org.quartz.simpl.SimpleThreadPool$WorkerThread.run(SimpleThreadPool.java:516)

2012-05-18 10:35:55,526 JiraQuartzScheduler_Worker-1 ERROR ServiceRunner UK EMS Support_AUTN [service.services.mail.MailFetcherService] UK EMS Support_AUTN[10202]: Exception: null

javax.mail.FolderClosedException

at com.sun.mail.imap.IMAPMessage.getProtocol(IMAPMessage.java:149)

at com.sun.mail.imap.IMAPMessage.getHeader(IMAPMessage.java:715)

at com.atlassian.jira.service.services.mail.MailFetcherService.run(MailFetcherService.java:175)

at com.atlassian.jira.service.JiraServiceContainerImpl.run(JiraServiceContainerImpl.java:61)

at com.atlassian.jira.service.ServiceRunner.execute(ServiceRunner.java:48)

at org.quartz.core.JobRunShell.run(JobRunShell.java:191)

at org.quartz.simpl.SimpleThreadPool$WorkerThread.run(SimpleThreadPool.java:516)

2012-05-18 10:35:55,526 JiraQuartzScheduler_Worker-1 ERROR ServiceRunner UK EMS Support_AUTN [service.services.mail.MailFetcherService] UK EMS

Any help is appreciated!!

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 17, 2012

I have a slightly wobbly old memory of seeing this error before, although it wasn't in Jira. The message you're getting is actually telling you that the email server is refusing access to the IMAP folder you're trying to scan. The exact reason, I can't tell you, although I remember the email server logs telling us what it was doing. It was timeouts or someone renaming something, I think. Check the config on the mailbox, ideally, compare it with one that is working ok.

Sorin Sbarnea (Citrix)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 13, 2012

Can you provide more information about this, I do have the same problem and I'm sure that the mailbox is fine. How am I supposed to compare the configuration of two mailboxes, I'm not Exchange admin and the mailbox is just fine, it works with any other IMAP client!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 13, 2012

I'm afraid that's the problem - I had to hand it over to an Exchange admin to debug it.

0 votes
Sorin Sbarnea (Citrix)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 11, 2012

What was the cause?

Suggest an answer