Jira - if you delete a User, does Jira retain hours logged by that User?

Sandra Nelmes May 1, 2013

We have several employees who have left the business and are currently marked as 'Inactive User'. If we were to DELETE these Users from Jira completely, would Jira retain hours logged against Jira issues by that User in the past? Or would the complete log history of that User be lost?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
richie_gee
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 1, 2013

Hi Sandra,

I believe the answer you are seeking for is as documented below:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Managing+Users#ManagingUsers-deleteuser

Deleting users will remove the association of the user entirely, meaning you will loss the data logged by the user. So deactivating the user is the correct way to go. Since it does not count towards your license, I believe it is harmless leaving the deactivated users there.

Hope this helps, cheers :)

1 vote
AmandaA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 1, 2013

Hi Sandra,

The log history from the deleted users are still there, but we do not recommend you to delete users. You can still mark them as 'Inactive', as those users might associate with some issues data and it might tamper with other data in your JIRA.

Besdies, the inactive usres will not count towards your JIRA users license limit. Here is the doc for your reference:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Managing+Users#ManagingUsers-Deactivatingauser

Cheers

0 votes
Colin Goudie
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 1, 2013

I believe the hours would still exist but logged against unknown or anonymous user. Can't recall which

Suggest an answer