Jira hangs almost every time we click "Workflows" in the admin menu

Users can still create issues and use JIRA or Tempo in any other way, but when an admin clicks "Workflows" in the Admin menu, it hangs and then "Issues–>Search for Issues" hangs. 

Also other items on the Admin left nav are fine and perfectly useable, just Workflows is inaccessible.

Its really weird. 

We do have a LOT of complex custom workflows. Where do I start troubleshooting? We have to reboot the server about once a week for this issue. 

5 answers

0 vote
Steven Behnke Community Champion Sep 07, 2016

Have you found any errors in the application log that are related?

here is what I get in the log analyzer :image2016-9-7 15:18:51.png

0 vote

The log analyzer helps but I'm used to troubleshooting the raw log files.

The big red flag there is the "WorkflowException" and "Workflow validator class can not load" errors. Is JIRA Suite Utilities still enabled?

Yes it is - with an available update... should it be disabled we use tons of workflow conditions and custom fields... ?: 

image2016-9-7 15:30:31.png

0 vote

No, it should not be disabled. However, I see specific errors attributed to that add-on. If you could open the application log, open the workflow screen, and find the related errors that pop-up, that would help greatly.

I also recommend opening a support ticket with Atlassian – https://support.atlassian.com.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,276 views 14 20
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot