Jira global profile change

markstocker February 4, 2013

On the Profile settings how do I change "my changes" from "Dont notify me to "notify me" globally for all users?

I'm using the Jiras raised by Email notifications and the person sending the email (the raiser) doesnt get a notification even though I have Reporter selected in the Create Issue notification scheme.

I figure this is because the global setting for people profile is to "dont notify me" of updates that they have made.

Is there a way to change this?

3 answers

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 4, 2013

Slightly tricky to change database. The preference is stored in propertyentry table with the property_key 'user.notify.own.changes' but this appears only if the user has saved the profile at least once.

0 votes
Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 4, 2013

Check this question:

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/52111/how-can-i-configure-my-notification-settings-so-that-people-aren-t-notified-by-their-own-actions

You should deactivate the option mentioned there in your global settings. Nevertheless, this doesn't change current user seetings.

0 votes
AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 4, 2013

Hey there, Mark.

As far as I am concerned, this option is applicable per user and there are no options to toggle the Notify Me option globally. Hence, the user will have to ensure that the option is ticked on their profile.

Perhaps you are considering this a possible feature request that Atlassian should implement in JIRA?

Warm regards,

Danial

markstocker February 5, 2013

Thanks for your input so far guys.

Any suggestions for a dfferent approach? I'm extending Jira access to the whole company by setting up 2 new mail handlers that will create a Jira record for every new email sent to those two inboxes.

Notification is sent to a few nominated individuals in the notification scheme but I also want an email to go back to the Raiser to say that the Jira has been created.

How do I do that without getting everyone to turn on their Notify Me? 80% of these people wont ever login to Jira directly, it's basically a ticketing/adult system for them.

AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 5, 2013

Hey there again, Mark.

You are most welcome. Anyway, you can try the workaround that Renjith suggested but please make sure that you perform a full backup of your instance and database first before proceeding with it.

Apart from that, I can't think of any other method, Mark. Pretty much have to ensure that the users have the option checked / unchecked from their Profile preferences.

Warm regards,

Danial

Suggest an answer