Jira field abbreviations

Kojo July 1, 2021

Hello,

I was wondering if you could help me in getting Jira fields such as "type" and "priority" to display in Jira dashboards and filters on Confluence.

Currently, when these fields are part of a filter, their column heading appears as "T" for type or "P" for priority, rather than spelling out the whole word.

Do you have any information as to why this happens or how to get it to show the full word?

Thank you.

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 1, 2021

The T and P are there to stop the columns taking up huge amounts of space when all they contain is an icon (roughly 1 letter wide)

You can't turn this off without a bit of coding, if I remember rightly.

Kojo July 2, 2021

Thank you for the response. How do I turn it off?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 2, 2021

Go find the language pack you are (mostly) using, it's a .jar file somewhere in the installation of Jira. 

It will be named something like jira*language-pack-xx_yy-vvvvvvv-vvvvvv.jar .  The xx and yy are the standard codes for language and region (For example, American English is en_US, English is en_GB etc, the vvvvv is the versioning parts)

Unpack that, then search every file for the word "short" or "Short" - you'll find a property that gives you the P or T, assuming it's the English for priority and type (I don't think there are others). 

Edit the files containing it to what you want it to say instead, then re-build the .jar file.

Restart Jira so it re-reads the new .jar for your new words, and hey-presto, an issue navigator with over-wide columns chewing up way too much screen space!  (Oh, and keep the old .jar file safe, you'll need to put it back if you want to be supported properly)

Kojo July 2, 2021

Thank you. Is there any URL that has this information you want to share with me?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 2, 2021

Not that I can find.  When I was asked to do it, I could not find anything on it, and had to get stuck into the source code. 

I'd also point out that my changes made it to test and then got universally slated as a total waste of screen space and development time, and never went further.  I know this hack works, but I really can't recommend you do it

Suggest an answer