Jira downgrade from 8.13 to 8.3.5

Entel January 12, 2021

Hello guys,

Is there any chance or legal process to downgrade Jira 8.13 to 8.3.5 application without loosing current data from Mysql?

Best regards,
Csaba

6 answers

0 votes
KM January 7, 2022

Hi @Entel ,

since we also think about migrating vom Jira Server to taiga.io: did you succeed in migrating the issues from Jira to taiga?

Greetings,

Abo

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 13, 2021

Hi @Entel

I agree with the others that a restore would be needed for term of a "rollback".
From a different angle: there must be a reason why you want to roll back but v8.3 will be "out of life" not very far in the future.

The question is if it would not be better to fix forward - are you experiencing something that does not works as intended? If so, what is it?

Alone from a point of security considerations - v8.13 brings several fixes to earlier security issues along with it - 8.3 is not a Long-Term-Support release, some security issues (vulnerabilities) might be still open why a v8.13 absolutely makes sense.

Regards,
Daniel

Entel January 13, 2021

Hello Daniel

Because I'd like to import data to Taiga.

• Taiga support Jira releases up to 8.3.5. It has been tested and should work out of the box.
  • Taiga does not support Jira releases from 8.6.

Quite a few entries have been made since then 8.3.5... that's the problem. Now we use 8.13.

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 13, 2021

That's ok from an users perspective, but please keep in mind Jira 8.3 will be End Of Life (https://confluence.atlassian.com/support/atlassian-support-end-of-life-policy-201851003.html) as per EOL date: July 22, 2021.

0 votes
Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 12, 2021

Hi @Entel ,

What is your situation? Did you recently upgraded or you used Jira for longer time already? How much data you "added" after upgrade?

In general when you upgrade to a new version a upgrade task is done to your database also, so not sure if you can simply revert back without having a backup...

The full rollback procedure is here

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/rolling-back-a-jira-application-upgrade-938846960.html

If you are curious what would happen you can try on a test system.

Entel January 13, 2021

Hi Mirek,

• Taiga support Jira releases up to 8.3.5. It has been tested and should work out of the box.

Quite a few entries have been made since then 8.3.5... that's the problem. Now we use 8.13.
Thx for the link and your effort. :)

0 votes
KAGITHALA BABU ANVESH
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 12, 2021

Hi @Entel ,

I think We can't rollback with Modified data from latest upgrade.

This link providing some information.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver0813/rolling-back-a-jira-application-upgrade-1027137610.html 

After upgrade , if you can find how many new issues created.

using "createdDate >= 2021-01-12"( January 12 2021).

you can export all these issues into csv 

and after downgrade import this .csv.

I felt this is a possibility. but need to test in separate environment

Thanks

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 12, 2021

No, there's no downgrade path for Jira data.

What problem are you trying to solve with this?

Entel January 13, 2021

Hello Nic,

0 votes
Bibek Behera
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 12, 2021

Hi @Entel ,

I can suggest you to try the same in a dev/test server. Have the backup moved to the test server, install a fresh copy of 8.3.5 there. restore the backup and do a UAT before proceeding.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/migrating-jira-applications-to-another-server-938846962.html

Backward compatibility is not something not some one tries on a regular basis so the above is the best approach I could suggest for now.

-Bibek

Suggest an answer