Jira default groups and crowd - best way to manage users

Rob McElroy May 7, 2012

Hi -

We are using crowd with our windows AD. Are the jira-users, jira-developers and jira-administrators groups basically irrelevant for us?

I can add our AD groups to the JIRA permissions (JIRA System Administrators, JIRA Administrators, JIRA users, etc..) and be done.

Am I correct in my thinking? Any reason why I would not want to do this?

Thanks!

Rob

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Septa Cahyadiputra
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 7, 2012

Hi Rob,

Yup, it is actually correct. It is not a must to use the default group of JIRA for your AD users. However we recommend to use both groups as we already set a predefined permission using the above groups by default.

By using your AD groups you will need to defined the permission from scratch.

Hope it help clarifying your doubts.

Cheers,

Septa Cahyadiputra

Rob McElroy May 7, 2012

Hi Septa -

I appreciate your quick response. Defining the permissions from scratch is simply just giving my AD groups JIRA global permissions, correct? This appears pretty easy.

For our organization, we don't really need to change permissions defined at the project level so assigning the AD groups global permissions should work well for us.

Thanks,

Rob

1 vote
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 7, 2012

In my case, we are using those groups by default. Every Jira user is in the group jira-users, the administrator are on the jira-administrators. Anyone how it isn't a client is in the jira-developers. But we use this only for the global permissions. With the permissions scheme we prefer to configure using the Roles with individual users or with created groups called 'Team xxxxx' defined by client or department.

Suggest an answer