Jira database modification while Jira is running

Øivind Boge July 15, 2013

Hi.

We have an issue in our Jira instance which has been closed but the resolution has not been set, and our workflow does not allow us to reopen that issue.

So is there any possible issues which could occur while updating the resolution directly in the database WHILE Jira is running?

I have tested this several times in a test environment, and the resolution is successfully updated (but not the search index). And when I performed a reindex, the searching was also updated with the new resolution.

Thanks

Øivind Boge

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 15, 2013

>So is there any possible issues which could occur while updating the resolution directly in the database WHILE Jira is running?

You could destroy a chunk of the project. I've only seen it happen a couple of times, but direct modification of the issue table while Jira is running can lead to a LOT of serious damage (although I'd expect resolution to be moderately safe, I've seen catastrophic loss caused by updating other fields I'd have said were moderately safe as well)

Stop your Jira before using SQL to amend stuff!

1 vote
MJ
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 15, 2013

I would advice against making manual changes in your DB for such a reason. Instead, create a transition in the relevant workflow, from the current status of the issue, TO the current status of the issue. As a postfunction in that transition, set the resolution field value to whichever value you want it to have. Now, navigate to the issue, perform the transition you have just added, and your resolution will have changed. Regarding the editing of closed issues in general, please have a look at this product documentation.

Suggest an answer