Jira crashing with error 500

Leena Bakshi October 3, 2017

After upgrading jira to 7.3.3, I started adding plugins one by one and jira never crashed other than one Add on didnt let the navigation tree ( on the left side of the page) load properly and it said "unable to render elements due to an error" so I ran reindexing, that didnt help but reboot did. Yesterday I installed the final add on -"Jenkins integration with Jira" and I could still access Jira with no problem for hours until when I decided to test Service desk and there I saw the same error again on the left side of the page "Unable to render element due to an error" however I could see the issues/ticket listed on the right side in different Service desks. So I did the same reindexing that didnt solve the problem. I could still access jira though and I decided to reboot the machine and then I couldnt access jira and got error 500 with the following details:

Any idea??

Cause

Referer URL: https://jiradev73.xxx.com/secure/errors.jsp

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class webwork.dispatcher.GenericDispatcher

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class webwork.dispatcher.GenericDispatcher        at com.atlassian.jira.web.dispatcher.JiraWebworkActionDispatcher.prepareDispatcher(JiraWebworkActionDispatcher.java:205) [classes/:?]

2 answers

0 votes
Leena Bakshi October 6, 2017

An update, I uninstalled Service desk and then reinstalled the same version 3.4 right now I am not  getting "unable to render ..." error.

0 votes
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 3, 2017

Hi Leena,

When you upgraded JIRA, what version did you upgrade from? 

I commonly see the "Unable to render element due to an error" in conjunction with an upgrade that was not performed per the JIRA Service Desk 3.2.x release notes.

We have a knowledge base article titled After upgrading to JIRA Service Desk 3.2.x or greater, Service Desk project's navigation bar shows "Unable to render element due to an error" that describes this error and how to resolve it.

Take a look in the atlassian-jira.log to see if you see errors similar to the following:

2016-08-30 22:12:51,923 http-nio-8320-exec-11 ERROR anonymous 1332x78x3 8rur7t 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 /browse/DESK [c.a.p.webresource.assembler.DefaultWebResourceAssembler] Error generating bigpipe content for 'sidebar-id': java.lang.NullPointerException
java.util.concurrent.CompletionException: java.lang.NullPointerException
 at java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture.encodeThrowable(CompletableFuture.java:273)
 at java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture.completeThrowable(CompletableFuture.java:280)
 at java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture$AsyncSupply.run(CompletableFuture.java:1592)
 at com.atlassian.jira.plugin.bigpipe.PrioritizedRunnable.run(PrioritizedRunnable.java:31)
 at com.atlassian.jira.plugin.bigpipe.BigPipeService.lambda$executeSingleTask$1(BigPipeService.java:59)
 at java.util.Optional.map(Optional.java:215)
[c.a.p.webresource.assembler.DefaultWebResourceAssembler] Error generating bigpipe content for 'sidebar-id': Deadline exceeded 
Error generating bigpipe content for 'activity-panel-pipe-id': Deadline exceeded 

In addition, check the atlassian-servicedesk.log for messages such as the following:

2016-08-30 22:10:07,438 UpmAsynchronousTaskManager:thread-1 ERROR anonymous 1332x78x3 8rur7t 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 /rest/plugins/1.0/available/featured [atlassian.servicedesk.bootstrap.lifecycle] '2.3.6' version of Service Desk cannot be upgraded to '3.2.0-038-01'. Upgrade to '3.0.0' <= <version> < '3.2.0' first. com.atlassian.servicedesk.bootstrap.upgrade.UnsatisfiedVersionRequirementException: '2.3.6' version of Service Desk cannot be upgraded to '3.2.0-038-01'. Upgrade to '3.0.0' <= <version> < '3.2.0' first. at com.atlassian.servicedesk.bootstrap.upgrade.UpgradeRequirementsChecker.checkVersionRequirementForUpgrade(UpgradeRequirementsChecker.java:25) at com.atlassian.servicedesk.bootstrap.lifecycle.PluginLifeCycle.checkAndRunUpgrades(PluginLifeCycle.java:256) at com.atlassian.servicedesk.bootstrap.lifecycle.PluginLifeCycle.runPluginStartupSideEffectsImpl(PluginLifeCycle.java:183) at com.atlassian.servicedesk.bootstrap.lifecycle.LifecycleLock.writeImpl(LifecycleLock.java:97) at com.atlassian.servicedesk.bootstrap.lifecycle.LifecycleLock.runOnStartup(LifecycleLock.java:75)

Take a look at After upgrading to JIRA Service Desk 3.2.x or greater, Service Desk project's navigation bar shows "Unable to render element due to an error" for the resolution based on the errors you see.

Cheers,

Branden

Thank you Branden, for looking in this. before jira crashed the service desk version was 3.4

However right now I am at a point where I see error related to Jenkins plugin in Atlassian log as follows:

2017-10-02 16:12:06,993 JIRA-Bootstrap ERROR [c.a.s.core.upgrade.PluginUpgrader] Upgrade failed: Name is null
java.lang.NullPointerException: Name is null
at java.lang.Enum.valueOf(Enum.java:236)
at org.marvelution.jira.plugins.jenkins.model.SiteType.valueOf(SiteType.java:31)
at org.marvelution.jira.plugins.jenkins.dao.impl.DefaultSiteDAO.lambda$new$20(DefaultSiteDAO.java:51)
at java.util.stream.ReferencePipeline$3$1.accept(ReferencePipeline.java:193)
at java.util.Spliterators$ArraySpliterator.forEachRemaining(Spliterators.java:948)
at java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.copyInto(AbstractPipeline.java:481)
at java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.wrapAndCopyInto(AbstractPipeline.java:471)
at java.util.stream.ReduceOps$ReduceOp.evaluateSequential(ReduceOps.java:708)
at java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.evaluate(AbstractPipeline.java:234)
at java.util.stream.ReferencePipeline.collect(ReferencePipeline.java:499)
at org.marvelution.jira.plugins.jenkins.dao.impl.DefaultSiteDAO.getAll(DefaultSiteDAO.java:79)
at org.marvelution.jira.plugins.jenkins.services.impl.DefaultSiteService.getAll(DefaultSiteService.java:65)
at org.marvelution.jira.plugins.jenkins.upgrade.RemoteSiteStatusUpgradeTask.doUpgrade(RemoteSiteStatusUpgradeTask.java:70)

In reference of Service desk this is what I found( similar to what you mentioned):

2017-09-29 14:22:52,233 https-jsse-nio-443-exec-8 ERROR anonymous 862x16x1 szov8t 172.18.188.143 /projects/JSD/issues/JSD-747 [c.a.p.webresource.assembler.DefaultWebResourceAssembler] Error generating bigpipe content for 'sidebar-id': java.lang.NullPointerException
java.util.concurrent.CompletionException: java.lang.NullPointerException
at java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture.encodeThrowable(CompletableFuture.java:273)
at java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture.completeThrowable(CompletableFuture.java:280)

Some Additional errors: see this couple of times

2017-09-29 16:49:37,120 https-jsse-nio-443-exec-25 ERROR anonymous 1009x3191x1 1huev3s 172.18.188.143 /browse/BCSSB [c.a.j.w.f.steps.requestcleanup.WebworkActionCleanupStep] Thread corrupted! ActionContext still references a HttpRequest. URL: 'https://dvw-jiraapp73.cfins.com/browse/BCSSB'. Attempted to clean up: true

2017-09-29 21:18:10,309 Caesium-1-1 ERROR ServiceRunner [c.a.s.caesium.impl.SchedulerQueueWorker] Unhandled exception thrown by job QueuedJob[jobId=com.atlassian.jira.service.JiraService:10000,deadline=1506734280000]
com.atlassian.jira.exception.DataAccessException: org.ofbiz.core.entity.GenericDataSourceException: SQL Exception while executing the following:SELECT DISTINCT ID FROM dbo.rundetails WHERE JOB_ID=? (I/O Error: Read timed out)
at com.atlassian.jira.ofbiz.DefaultOfBizDelegator.findListIteratorByCondition(DefaultOfBizDelegator.java:401)
at com.atlassian.jira.ofbiz.WrappingOfBizDelegator.findListIteratorByCondition(WrappingOfBizDelegator.java:278)

Jira is up now ( after disabling all plugins and re enabling them in registry) .. and then I uninstalled the jenkins plugin.

However for Service desk I am not sure when I migrated from 6.4.12 to 7.0.0 if service desk was at 3.0 or not but right now with 7.3.3 it is on service desk 3.4 and I am still getting unable to render element on the left side.

Thanks

and this is what I see in service desk log: 

2017-10-03 14:36:28,106 JIRA-Bootstrap ERROR [bootstrap.lifecycle.server.ServerPluginLifeCycle] '2.5.9' version of Service Desk cannot be upgraded to '3.4.0-REL-0010'. Upgrade to '3.0.0' <= <version> < '3.2.0' first.
com.atlassian.servicedesk.bootstrap.lifecycle.server.UnsatisfiedVersionRequirementException: '2.5.9' version of Service Desk cannot be upgraded to '3.4.0-REL-0010'. Upgrade to '3.0.0' <= <version> < '3.2.0' first.
at com.atlassian.servicedesk.bootstrap.lifecycle.server.UpgradeRequirementsChecker.checkVersionRequirementForUpgrade(UpgradeRequirementsChecker.java:25)
at com.atlassian.servicedesk.bootstrap.lifecycle.server.ServerPluginLifeCycle.checkAndRunUpgrades(ServerPluginLifeCycle.java:245)
at com.atlassian.servicedesk.bootstrap.lifecycle.server.ServerPluginLifeCycle.start(ServerPluginLifeCycle.java:205)
at com.atlassian.servicedesk.bootstrap.lifecycle.server.ServerPluginLifeCycle.lambda$onPluginStarted$0(ServerPluginLifeCycle.java:193)

Suggest an answer