Jira + confluence authentication issue

damien-specim March 4, 2013

Hi,

I'm having trouble with authentication. On the same server I have installed jira (port 8080), crucible (port 8060) and confluence (port 8090).

I have setup trusted application links between jira and crucible, jira and confluence

Jira + crucible authentication works fine. I just click on the source tab from jira and it goes where it should in fisheye.

Jira + confluence on the other end is quite problematic. Every time I switch from jira to confluence or vice versa, the authentication of the preview application is lost. Worst even, having confluence activities on the jira dashboard automatically invalidate my jira credentials making the system un-unusable.

On confluence "External user management" is checked to delegate to jira.

All applications are running as services on Win2008 server and have dedicated databases on a MS MSQL server.

Has anybody seen such issues?

Thanks

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
damien-specim March 5, 2013

As expected both applications were using the same cookie for storing the session. I modified the registry according to those instructions:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CONFKB/Logging+into+Another+Atlassian+Application+Logs+Me+Out+of+Confluence

0 votes
C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 4, 2013

Hi Damien,

i am missing a name like "Crowd" i.e. to provide (what i think your goal is) some SSO feature.

telling confluence to use jiras user directory won't enable single-sign-on between both applications.

that's where Atlassian Crowd is comming in pretty smooth.

this will allow (after some few configuration) accessing all your apps with only one active login session.

is this what your aiming at?

sorry if i may misunderstood your request

Hi thanks for helping!

It is not just a mising SSO feature (which is you are correct the intended target) but a bad configuration or bug; I'm not sure.

I try to explain the authentication problem again as a workflow

• I open let say confluence a tab and log in: no problem
  • 10 seconds later I open jira in a second tab or window and log in: no problem
  • 10 seconds later I go back to the first tab: my confluence session is not valid anymore
  • I log again in confluence
  • 10 seconds later I go back to the jira tab: my jira session is not valid anymore

It looks to me that both application would be sharing / deleting each others session.

Because of this, if i log into jira, my jira session is instantly deleted because the activity stream set on the dashboard is collecting data from confluence.

So the problem is that I cannot be logged on both systems at the same time and since they are sharing content, it causes some more issues.

I hope I managed to explain better this time =)

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 4, 2013

i see.

is there a trusted communication set up between both?

i.e. this

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Setting+Up+Trusted+Communication+between+JIRA+and+Confluence

Yes there is.

Both outgoing and incoming authentication are marked "Configured" in green in both jira and confluence end.

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 4, 2013

ok. what about this KB article?

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CONF34/Delegate+user+management+to+use+JIRA+logins

i know it is for earlier release of confluence but there may be some similar settings to make in your installation.

sorry i never did this in our installations. we use crowd from the beginning so i can only do some web research as well

damien-specim March 5, 2013

I managed to fixed the problem.

As expected both applications were using the same cookie for storing the session. I modified the registry according to those instructions:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CONFKB/Logging+into+Another+Atlassian+Application+Logs+Me+Out+of+Confluence

Thanks for the help!

Suggest an answer