Jira configuration (THROUGH WEB INTERFACE) to send notification e-mail messages to reporters

Curiosity May 20, 2013

Hello guys, can anybody tell me configurations through jira web interface for a notification sender after a user/reporter posts a bug?. I've tried steps such as configuring notification scheme, "email me when i make changes" option set but still doesn't get positive results.

I raised this question because I am planning to implement a ticketing system in jira and I'm not sure If there exists of the kind of procedure right now in its system. Thanks

1 answer

1 vote
Daniel Wester
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 20, 2013

There are several ways of doing it.

1. Set up the notification scheme to send emails on the Issue Create event. This will send emails whenever any type of issue is created.
  2. Create a new Event ( https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Adding+a+Custom+Event ) and create a 'Bug' workflow. In the 'Bug' workflow trigger the event instead of the Issue Create event in the post condition.
  3. There are several Marketplace Add-Ons that will solve this for you (I'm one of the developers of one of them).
Curiosity May 20, 2013

I've checked the notification scheme (in my case I'm using the 'Defaul Notification Scheme') and found that notifications are set for current Assignee and Reporter in the ISSUE CREATED event. Since those where set, I've tried to test by CREATING ISSUE through a secondary email address. The thing is there was no notification received by the email address of the reporter.

Curiosity May 20, 2013

Hello, have you tried developing a workflow for a ticketing management system?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 20, 2013

You've already mentioned the "email me on my changes", but can you check that is not set on the account associated with the "secondary email address" you've used to create the issue?

Also, the account that creates the issue - can you check that it can see the issue? Jira does security properly and won't send emails to people who can't see the issues the email is about.

Curiosity May 21, 2013

Yes, he can see the issue on jira but no notification has been recieved via email after he posted that issue.

About the 'Event listener' - I've constructed a workflow and done adding an improvised 'event' to the post functions. I was wondering if we could touch a script(like EVENT SCRIPT) and perform coding in jiraOnDemand since I am using it through a web interface?(doubt that i could do that). I wanted to create a custom message to be sent automatically once the reporter posts an issue

Daniel Wester
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 21, 2013

Are you OnDemand or an installed version?

"Creative solution" warning (I wish there was Confluence macros here) - if you're on OnDemand.

You have limited functionality on OnDemand - you might be able to do it through a custom field and setting a field value, trigger an custom event and resetting the field value.

If you're on an installed - use groovy or jelly scripts.

Curiosity May 21, 2013

im using 'ONDEMAND', not the installed version. Yup that's the problem with limited functionality when using web based interface. I'm in the process of the customized event procedure.

Curiosity May 21, 2013

"you might be able to do it through a custom field and setting a field value, trigger an custom event and resetting the field value" <--- Custom field, are you talking about a part in a post function/?

Curiosity May 28, 2013

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/162400/email-notification-on-issue-creation-for-reporter --

Same as this issue right on this link. But still unanswered. Im posting this for clearer detail of my problem.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 28, 2013

Mmm, that other question tails off because you're asking to send email to a user when they perform an action and have set the "do not mail me on my actions" flag set. Which is, well, correct. They shouldn't get the email if they've got the flag set.

You either need to change the flag, or come up with a way to send email that ignores it, and that requires a plugin that can send email. Which you can't install on OnDemand.

Curiosity May 29, 2013

Does jira onDemand DO send notifications through email with a ticket number of a submitted issue to its reporter? Does this function currently exist in jira's system because maybe Im missing some feature here?.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 29, 2013

Yes. If you include "reporter" in the notification scheme on the "issue created" line, then Jira sends the reporter an email when they create the issue (including the issue ID and some detail).

It removes the reporter from the list of recipients if they have the "do not email me on changes I have just made" flag set on their account.

Curiosity June 3, 2013

Done that method, tested it then.. I received a notification via email but ONLY when making changes. The need is to receive notification via email when CREATING NEW ISSUE.

That's what is lacking right now. Granted that i've added reporters in the notification. btw thanks for your replies guyz

Suggest an answer