Jira comment visibility dropdown - possible to disable?

Bryan Karsh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 14, 2012

Hi,

I am using jira 5.2.2 -- we want to make comments visible to external and internal customers by default -- to that end, we don't want to give users the option of choosing comment visibility while making a comment. I know you can indicate groups or roles for comment visibility -- but how do I simply turn it off? I just want to remove the padlock/dropdown from the comment section.

Any tips? I can't seem to find a way to do it.

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
ConradR
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 14, 2012

You can remove or edit the dropdown here: /jira/WEB-INF/classes/templates/jira/global.vm

Lines 1-48.

Instead of deleting the Dropdwon, you should add a display:none to the parent div:

<div class="security-level" style="display: none;">

Now you have to restart Jira. After patching Jira, you might have to repeat your changes.

Bryan Karsh
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 14, 2012

perfect == that works. Thanks!

0 votes
Danilo Conrad
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 20, 2015

The option to disable comment visibility is being tracked by the suggestion below in our public issue tracker:

You may vote on it to increase its visibility with our developers, and also add yourselves as a watcher to be notified of any updates on that issue in the future. The improvement will be addressed by our developers according to our Implementation of New Features Policy.

Suggest an answer