Jira cloud restrict users to create a new board and edit its workflow

Dennis Dolman December 11, 2019

Hi there,

Currently, our company is in the progress of adjusting permissions as we are growing. It got to a big mess. The projectmanager and myself are editing permissions and making sure people get what they need.

I already figured out the permission screens and such, but i am unable to prevent users from creating a new Board on a excisting project. Furthermore: The user is able to edit its workflow and edit columns. How am i able to prevent this?

I've read about https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Create-board-permission/qaq-p/790600 and https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/I-dont-see-quot-Create-Shared-Objects-quot-permission-on-the/qaq-p/959799 

But neither seemed to work for me, as my test user is still able to change things.

Kind regards,

1 answer

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 11, 2019

Hi @Dennis Dolman

I have not tried this in some time and clearly things have changed in Cloud since I last looked at Global permissions. I do see that create shared objects is missing. It does appear that Share dashboards and filters has replaced (?) it. What this, accompanied w/ your results, tells me is that while the user can continue to create a board they should be unable to share that board w/ anyone if they are on in any group defined under the Share dashboards and filters global permission. Can you confirm this?

If someone doesn't give you a different/better answer here, i.e. how to prevent users from creating boards, I would suggest check w/ Atlassian Support to get an official answer on this.

@Jack Brickey Thanks for your reply!

I just tested that, and it disables a user to create a board. However, it feels like i am restricting the user to much (by disabling filter sharing aswell). 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 11, 2019

yes indeed that is the case in that they will not be able to share filters. But, I would contend that is the correct behavior. Boards and filters are typically shared objects and as such you either allow users to do this or your don't. I assume that the user can still create and save a filter but they cannot share.

The problem i am trying to solve is that a user cannot change a boards columns (or create a new one with different columns). 

The best situation would be that the board that's generated on creating the project already has the right columns. However, there seem to be no such way to make a project template with set columns and schemes.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 11, 2019

If the user can create a board they will have complete control over that board. However, if the board is supplementary, i.e. it isn't the main project board why would you care? Yes it might cause confusion but to me that is a communication thing or management thing. I tend to allow folks to create boards that meet their needs but don't allow them to create project or edit workflows unless we have an understanding first.

Suggest an answer