Jira canot run on slow connection internet line because it cannot check the license

truong duong April 4, 2014

I'm not sure but I gess Jira need to check the license every day,

My question is: How to increase the timeout for the checking license service?

My jira server die every beginning of day with error:

Cannot initialize ExtendedSystemInfoUtilsImpl
com.atlassian.jira.util.dbc.Assertions$NullArgumentException: jiraLicenseService should not be null!
at com.atlassian.jira.util.dbc.Assertions.notNull(Assertions.java:29)
at com.atlassian.jira.util.system.ExtendedSystemInfoUtilsImpl.<init>(ExtendedSystemInfoUtilsImpl.java:152)
at com.atlassian.jira.util.system.ExtendedSystemInfoUtilsImpl.<init>(ExtendedSystemInfoUtilsImpl.java:159)
at com.atlassian.jira.web.servlet.InternalServerErrorServlet.initializeInternalServerErrorDS(InternalServerErrorServlet.java:147)
at com.atlassian.jira.web.servlet.InternalServerErrorServlet.doRequest(InternalServerErrorServlet.java:68)
at com.atlassian.jira.web.servlet.InternalServerErrorServlet.doGet(InternalServerErrorServlet.java:110)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:621)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:728) <+55> (ApplicationFilterChain.java:305) (ApplicationFilterChain.java:210) (XContentTypeOptionsNoSniffFilter.java:22) (AbstractHttpFilter.java:31) (ApplicationFilterChain.java:243) (ApplicationFilterChain.java:210) (HeaderSanitisingFilter.java:44) (ApplicationFilterChain.java:243) (ApplicationFilterChain.java:210) (ServletFilterModuleContainerFilter.java:71) (ServletFilterModuleContainerFilter.java:63) (ApplicationFilterChain.java:243) (ApplicationFilterChain.java:210) (ServletFilterModuleContainerFilter.java:71) (ServletFilterModuleContainerFilter.java:63) (ApplicationFilterChain.java:243) (ApplicationFilterChain.java:210) (ServletFilterModuleContainerFilter.java:71) (ServletFilterModuleContainerFilter.java:63) (ApplicationFilterChain.java:243) (ApplicationFilterChain.java:210) (GzipFilter.java:80) (GzipFilter.java:51) (JiraGzipFilter.java:55) (ApplicationFilterChain.java:243) (ApplicationFilterChain.java:210) (ServletFilterModuleContainerFilter.java:71) (ServletFilterModuleContainerFilter.java:63) (ApplicationFilterChain.java:243) (ApplicationFilterChain.java:210) (ChainedFilterStepRunner.java:87) (ApplicationFilterChain.java:243) (ApplicationFilterChain.java:210) (MultipartBoundaryCheckFilter.java:41) (ApplicationFilterChain.java:243) (ApplicationFilterChain.java:210) (ChainedFilterStepRunner.java:87) (JiraFirstFilter.java:57) (ApplicationFilterChain.java:243) (ApplicationFilterChain.java:210) (ApplicationDispatcher.java:749) (ApplicationDispatcher.java:489) (ApplicationDispatcher.java:412) (ApplicationDispatcher.java:339) (StandardHostValve.java:467) (StandardHostValve.java:338) (StandardHostValve.java:428) (StandardHostValve.java:201) (ErrorReportValve.java:100) (StandardEngineValve.java:118) (AccessLogValve.java:953) (CoyoteAdapter.java:408) (AbstractHttp11Processor.java:1041) (AbstractProtocol.java:603) (JIoEndpoint.java:310)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

My server is local server with a verrrrry slow internet connection, I think jira cannot start the jiraLicenseService because it had timeout.

Beginning of every day, I have to plugins the fastest internet line to the jira server then restart it to make the jira running. So some reason, I cannot keep that line for whole day.

Thanks,

DuongTC

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 5, 2014

It's nothing to do with your connection, Jira doesn't need to "phone home", exactly as Eddie says.

It's probably that you are missing one or more of the libraries it needs, and you're running into the problem at a regular time of day because of a routine check.

I think I've seen similar errors in two places

1. When I was testing a version of Jira that was incompatible with the version of Java I was on

2. When I forgot to copy all the required libraries into my Tomcat installation (See section 4.2 on https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Installing+JIRA+on+Tomcat+6.0+or+7.0)

0 votes
truong duong April 6, 2014

Hi Nic,

Thank You for your answer.

I'll re-check the installation again.

Thanks,

DuongTC

0 votes
truong duong April 4, 2014

Hi Eddie Webb,

It is just a guess so I'm not sure it correct, but I'm sure these things:

1. My server has very slow internet connection, about the SMTP for outgoing email, I have to set the timeout is 40 seconds, below 30 seconds jira will never send any email because of timeout problem.
  2. My jira die every beginning of day, every day I have to restart it and it work until tomorrow morning.
  3. My VPS have 3.5G ram, 8 CPU cores. It also run mysql and apache for very few request. The ram almost full (usually around 3.2G, it can use more than 3.5G from the hardware server if need, so some time the VPS take 5G or 6G)
  4. We have only one project, it had just started with less than 50 issues, 5 active users (of total 108 imported users).
  5. No firewall, no limit connection, except the speed.

What can cause that error?

Thanks,

DuongTC

0 votes
EddieW
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 4, 2014

Hmm, I'm not sure thats true. We run JIRA behind a firewall and it can't reach out to marketplace for any external domains.

Never had an issue with licenses.

I see a NPE in there, not timeouts.

Suggest an answer