Jira cannot be accessed suddenly "Unable to esablish a connection with the database"

Vo Mai Linh August 11, 2015

Dear,

I am using JIRA very well, suddenly I cannot access and it throws error like:

HTTP Status 500 - com.opensymphony.module.propertyset.PropertyImplementationException: Unable to esablish a connection with the database. (File input/output error: java.io.IOException: org.hsqldb.HsqlException: Unexpected end of command)

I hope you guys can help me to get out of this.

Thanks and regards,

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 11, 2015

The error means that there is a problem connecting to the database.  This is usually a networking error or something has taken the database offline.

However, in this case, you appear to be using HSQL as the database.  If this is the case, then there are other possible reasons - another program opening one of the database files in write mode can do it, but the most likely cause is the database has become corrupted.  I'd use lsof to check the first possibility, but if it's the failure, you should just rebuild it from production data, or start clean, as it is only a dev/test system.

Vo Mai Linh August 12, 2015

Hello Nic, Thanks for your answer. Let me check with first possibility that whether there is another program using this database. Just check. Otherwise, can you tell me in details what I need to do to rebuild it from production data? Thanks Linh

Vo Mai Linh August 12, 2015

Hello Nic, Or can you tell me how to take database online again? Thanks, Linh

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 12, 2015

Export all the data from production, get a clean JIRA running and import the data - that's the most simple route, but it's only suitable for smallish systems and there are other options. Depends on the size and setup you've got. To get the database online, all you can really do is restart JIRA. The HSQL stuff is part of your installation. If it fails again, it means it's locked or corrupted.

Suggest an answer