Jira automation - auto assign and then post comment to that auto assigned user

Joshua Cumblidge September 20, 2022

I have an automation that auto assigns a user during a transition (to the person who triggered the event) and then looks to make sure that an attachment was added before allowing the transition.  If this fails, I am @(assigned user) in the comments section of the ticket.  When this is triggered, Jira doesn't know who triggered the event yet and @(nobody).  Anyone know a way around this?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 20, 2022

Hello @Joshua Cumblidge 

You said you have automation to assign a user during a transition. Do you mean you have customized a workflow transition to include updating the Assignee, or do you mean you have an Automation Rule?

Can you show the details of the workflow transition or Automation Rule that is doing this work?

It's a Jira automation rule.

Jira Automation.jpg

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 20, 2022

try this

[~accountid:{{issue.assignee.accountId}}]

There needs to be context (issue) from which Assignee can be extracted. 

I get the same thing.

Jira Automation2.jpg

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 20, 2022

Try adding an action to Re-fetch Data after the action that Assigns the issue.

I used the Log Action in a rule to print out the Assignee after using the Assign Issue action. The Log Action printed no value. I added a Re-fetch action after the Assign action, and then the assignee info successfully printed.

Screen Shot 2022-09-20 at 1.21.19 PM.png

Like Bill Sheboy likes this

That worked! Thank you so much!!

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 20, 2022

You're welcome.

Please mark the answer as Accepted to help other community members find the posts that include solutions.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events