Jira attachments

M April 25, 2014

Hi there,

As far as i understand, attachment from issue are stored in a directory on the server by default and in the Issue ID directory.

This attachment is in fact an ID instead of the 'real' attachment (example.doc).

First question :

If my word attachment for example sizes 1Mo, is my attachment ID sizes 1 Mo or less ( Jira is reduceing the size ?)

2nd question :

If i decided to obtain more space on the server, can i backup all attachment from a specific project and in case of, i restore them directly ( do i need to do additionnal steps?)

Last question :

I want to copy all my attchments from a project in another server, as those file are ID and not real attchment, is it possible?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards

1 answer

0 votes
Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 25, 2014

Hello Manu,

as per my knowledge, all the attachments are stored into a specific folder (dafault location is JIRA-HOME/data/attachments).

For each jira project you will have a specific root folder named with project key. Within this folder you will find many subfolders with the issue key that specified the related issue that contains attachments.

Each attachment is stored as binary so you can't open directly from file system.

You can backup all the attchments or for specifc project just as a simple folder (zip, tar and so on). Moreover, you can restore the attachments into another server but, you need to link also a db dump otherwise the related attachments can not be opened. Jira stores attachment ID, attchment type and so on into DB so that you can't manage them withoud a consistence DB associated.

Hope this helps,

Fabio

Suggest an answer