Jira and new issue notifications for android

Kaj Nyström March 18, 2014

I would like to be able to receive android notifications when new issues over a certain priority on certain projects are created. I tried the following:

1. Mail notifications with filters - does not work with our company's mobile mail reader

2. Rss from activity feed - Can not get any reader to understand updating the feed, throwing up notifications, or there is a problem with the authentication which I put into the URL (os_username etc)

3. Android apps - I can not find one that works with the most recent Jira that can push notifications.

How are you guys doing this?

2 answers

0 votes
Kaj Nyström March 23, 2014

I suppose it is doable but it feels like there should be an easy way to get notifications on your phone when for example a new critical issue arrives. Thanks for the response though.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 23, 2014

Email client on the 'phone works fine for me. I've also rigged up SMS gateways for text messages, and I had no problem with an RSS newsreader!

The problem with email for us is that our corporate email uses its own client with no notification function. What RSS reader are you using there Nic? I had trouble finding one that can both use authenticated URLs and supports notifications.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 23, 2014

I said an email client - K-9 for example - it can pick up email from a standard mailbox. Doesn't matter what your corporate email client is, just hook up an email client to the mailbox you're getting Jira mails going to.

I use Feedly for RSS, although I've not persuaded it to work with one Jira system that uses SSL certificates for login.

Our corporate email server does not allow normal connections from any normal client whatsoever. Only the corporately distributed clients actually work. There are numerous measures in place to disallow normal email clients to talk to the server.

I will try feedly again, maybe I screwed it up last time. Thanks for the tip.

0 votes
Luther Hargrove
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 18, 2014

This may be a stretch for you, but you could use the JIRA API to pull out search results that match a certain criteria (priority, project, etc..). Parse out the results and use a 3rd party texting app to send the results to cell phones. Something that I have played around with in the past.

Suggest an answer