Jira and Vaultive email encryption

Joshua Li October 6, 2017

Our organization uses Vaultive email encryption (vaultive.com) which means that there is an encryption process in between the email content and the end user.

Given the same machine, same Secure IMAP server, same user name and password, same network access: Outlook and Opera Mail can access the account and access the messages un-encrypted. But Jira Server (hosted on that machine) and Jira Cloud only get encrypted text.

I have contacted Vaultive with this question. But I have wondering if anyone here has had some experience with Jira + Vaultive?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Joshua Li October 17, 2017

Atlassian support was not able to pin point a problem.

Neither could Vaultive support.

I personally suspect it's because the JavaMail library and an authenticated proxy (which is part of the Vaultive methodology) are not playing well. Because we tried accessing the same mailbox through many different applications, and it's always JavaMail-driven ones that fails. (https://javaee.github.io/javamail/FAQ#proxy)

Our solution in the end is a workaround: We are writing our own email handler. We used a C# mail library to retrieve mails (Vaultive + C# works fine), and C# Jira REST API to post to Jira as issues and comments.

Suggest an answer