Jira and Stash very slow

ComSi March 6, 2014

Hi all,

We have both Jira and Stash running on a VM with GB memory, but they are both extremely slow. Page requests can take up to 5 or 10 minutes. There are about 150 commits in stash and about 20 issues in Jira.

If I run them seperately (ie shutting down Jira) the performance does increase somewhat but it can still take a long time before a page is loaded.

After the page is loaded the first time, the system (stash or jira) is a lot quicker for a while.

Increasing the JVM maximum memory didn't seem to work, that just slowed everything down futher even more so I have everything on the default settings now. I have set in the VMWare server that all memory is reserved but that also doesn't improve the speed.

The server runs on Debian Linux.

Can anyone help me out? Where should I look next?

2 answers

0 votes
Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 6, 2014

Is there enough CPU? Is it an IO issue? I would do some profiling and see where the bottleneck is.

0 votes
Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 6, 2014

Hi,

Finding a root casue of performance problems is a very complex operation. It could a lot ot things that are slowing down your instance. Did you have a chance to read below articles?

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/Troubleshooting+Performance+Problems

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/Crashes+and+Performance+Issues+Troubleshooting

It is a good start to troubleshoot your specific problem.

I suggest to raise a support ticket to Atlassian if above will not help.

Best Regards,

Mirek

cofarrell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 6, 2014

As Mirek says I would also recommend creating a support ticket.

In Stash you can enable profiling in the administration page which writes to $STASH_HOME/log/atlassian-stash-profiler.log and will give us a very clear idea of why everything is going so slow. Attaching this to the support ticket will help.

Charles

Suggest an answer