Jira and Jira Core

Tom Mauriello December 27, 2017

Currently I have a subscription for Jira & Confluence.

I have been not been using the software development features of Jira at all over the last few years and thinking a less complex project management tool might be more applicable to my use, enter Jira Core.

Curious if Jira Core might be a good replacement for Jira as a project management - has anyone gone in this direction?

Can I replace Jira with Jira Core - or do I need both?

Does Jira Core integrate in any way with Confluence?

Without Jira is Confluence less useful?

Thank you!

2 answers

1 vote
Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 27, 2017

Hi Tom,

let me try to answer one question at a time:

• JIRA Core is the one that has everything (Workflows, Screens, Permissions, notifications,..)
  • JIRA Software has Boards and Sprints (if you don't use them then yo ucan go with JIRA Core only).
  • JIRA Core integrates with Confluence
  • You don't have to have JIRA in order to use Confluence. Having both is amazing but having only one of them is great

Let me know if this helps, if not you are more than welcome to ask more questions.

Thanks for taking a moment to reply to my question Fadoua, I appreciate it! Your answer is helpful.

1 vote
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 27, 2017

Hello,

From Jira v.7 there are three distributions of Jira: Jira Core, Jira Software and Jira Service Desk. Before Jira v.7 there was only one distribution called Jira and there were two plugins for agile and service desk functionality. That is why right now Jira Core equals to Jira. If you used Jira without agile and service desk plugins before, then Jira Core will be fine for you.

Jira Core integrates with Confluence just fine.

Confluence is a wiki application. If you do not need it, then Jira without Confluence will be just fine. Everything depends on the functionality which you need.

Thank you Alexey, this is very helpful.

Suggest an answer