Jira and Crowd integration

lance_lyons
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 11, 2011

We recently got crowd going with Jira, Confluence, etc. It was not performing as a SSO since I could not go from one app (Jira) to the other (Confluence) without being asked to authenticate again.

We looked at all the documentation and decided to add in the crowd.properties file and commented out the below in the seraph.config file

<!-- <authenticator class="com.atlassian.confluence.user.ConfluenceAuthenticator"/> -->

and uncomment this line... all according to documentation on confluence.

<!-- Authenticator with support for Crowd single-sign on (SSO). -->
<authenticator class="com.atlassian.confluence.user.ConfluenceCrowdSSOAuthenticator"/>

Now when I go to the Jira site, I get the login from Apache/Crowd. I login as admin and I am authenticated and in Jira. I go to Administration and Application Links and Im asked to enter the admin login again (from JIRA this time) and the password that i know is valid, is no longer accepted and I cant get pass this.

Any ideas?

1 answer

0 votes
Colin Goudie
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 11, 2011

Firstly, authentication and SSO are two different things, so you might be best to tackle one at a time.

First, it appears you problem is mainly authentication related specifically with what directories JIRA is using to authenticate users.

Also, what versions of each application are you using?

The reason why your JIRA admin user is probably not authenticating is that there are probably 2 or more users in the system called 'admin'. Probably one in the Crowd application and one in JIRA.

You should always first test your authentication in Crowd via the application tab. Go to the applicaiton you want to test and select the Authentication tab. Here you can test different accounts to ensure Crowd thinks they should be able to authenticate with that application.

If Crowd says they should authenticate but you still can't log in, then you have an application specific permission problem where that user doesn't have 'use' permissions for that application.

Once you sort out the authentication issues then you can edit the serpah config file to enable SSO.

Suggest an answer