Jira and Confluence integration doubt

leonardons July 3, 2013

Hi Atlassian team,

I need to your help to make a decision. I've a Jira licence with 50 user and I need to buy a Confluence licence to only 8 users, aproximately. I'm thinking about buy the 10 users starter licence. Well, I can use a integration between Jira and Confluence using the same team? If I've one user that is writing a documentation, but later he will not write anymore, and another user will write documents or revisions. I can change the permitions inside the limits of 10 users?

I was reading the Atlassian documentation, but I'm not sure that I can change the Confluence documentation team in any time ( respecting the 10 user limits, of course). Can you confirm it?

Thank's a lot.

Best regards, Leonardo Nogueira - IClass.

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Justin Alex Paramanandan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 4, 2013

Heya Leonardo,

Well, mixing JIRA's 50 users license with Confluence's 10 users license shouldn't pose much of a problem in terms of integration.

The only aspect you would have to worry a little is the user management interface. Are some of the users from JIRA going to access Confluence? If they are, then there's no problems for those users. But bear in mind that users from JIRA may not be able to access Confluence because:

1. the user limit for Confluence may be exceeded, or
  2. the JIRA user has no permission to access Confluence.

If no existing JIRA users are going to be part of Confluence, then bear in mind that the new Confluence users could not access JIRA unless they have permissions to do so.

Having said that, I'm sure you have your ideas planned out on how to achieve this.

Looking back at another part of your question:

If I've one user that is writing a documentation, but later he will not write anymore, and another user will write documents or revisions. I can change the permitions inside the limits of 10 users?

This is indeed possible to do; provided that this "another user" has the correct permissions to edit the page in question.

Other than that, I think you should be good to go!

1 vote
jing_hwa_cheok
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 3, 2013

Hi Leonardo,

Only User that belong to the group that have the can use permission which enable them to log in are counted in the User count. So you can either

1) create another user group for them and then assign the can use permission to the group.

2) Add them to the Confluence existin group.

Hope this helps.

Jing Hwa

1 vote
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 3, 2013

Yes, that should work fine.

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 3, 2013

If you link JIRA issues to Confluence pages, only the users who has permission in Confluence can see those. That is the only thing you want to keep in mind.

Suggest an answer