Jira and Confluence can no longer sync with Crowd

Ben Scutt August 12, 2014

Hi All,

We currently use Bamboo, Stash, Confluence and Jira, with Crowd for user management and Single Sign On.

We are experiencing an issue where Confluence and Jira can no longer Sync with Crowd, however Bamboo and Stash are still working correctly.

While existing Confluence and Jira users can still sign in, new users are not being synced across, so cannot sign in.

When running the "Test Remote Directory Connection" task under "User Directories" in Jira and Confluence, the following error is displayed:

Test basic connection : Failed

com.atlassian.crowd.exception.InvalidAuthenticationException: Application failed to authenticate

What is strange is that I can see sessions for our Jira and Confluence application accounts being created under the "Application Sessions" section in Crowd, which implies that some level of connection is working?

In our atlassian-jira.log file I can see the following error being logged when I attempt to run the "Test Remote Directory Connection" task:

2014-08-13 17:16:55,265 QuartzScheduler_Worker-0 INFO ServiceRunner     [atlassian.crowd.directory.DbCachingRemoteDirectory] synchronisation for directory [ 10000 ] starting
2014-08-13 17:16:55,360 QuartzScheduler_Worker-0 WARN ServiceRunner     [apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodBase] Going to buffer response body of large or unknown size. Using getResponseBodyAsStream instead is recommended.
2014-08-13 17:16:55,361 QuartzScheduler_Worker-0 INFO ServiceRunner     [atlassian.crowd.directory.DbCachingRemoteDirectory] failed synchronisation complete for directory [ 10000 ] in [ 96ms ]
2014-08-13 17:16:55,404 QuartzScheduler_Worker-0 ERROR ServiceRunner     [atlassian.crowd.directory.DbCachingDirectoryPoller] Error occurred while refreshing the cache for directory [ 10000 ].
com.atlassian.crowd.exception.OperationFailedException: com.atlassian.crowd.exception.InvalidAuthenticationException: Application failed to authenticate
        at com.atlassian.crowd.directory.RemoteCrowdDirectory.searchUsers(RemoteCrowdDirectory.java:381)
        at com.atlassian.crowd.directory.ldap.cache.RemoteDirectoryCacheRefresher.findAllRemoteUsers(RemoteDirectoryCacheRefresher.java:43)
        at com.atlassian.crowd.directory.ldap.cache.RemoteDirectoryCacheRefresher.synchroniseAllUsers(RemoteDirectoryCacheRefresher.java:62)
        at com.atlassian.crowd.directory.ldap.cache.AbstractCacheRefresher.synchroniseAll(AbstractCacheRefresher.java:78)
        at com.atlassian.crowd.directory.ldap.cache.EventTokenChangedCacheRefresher.synchroniseAll(EventTokenChangedCacheRefresher.java:71)
        at com.atlassian.crowd.directory.DbCachingRemoteDirectory.synchroniseCache(DbCachingRemoteDirectory.java:1014)
        at com.atlassian.crowd.manager.directory.DirectorySynchroniserImpl.synchronise(DirectorySynchroniserImpl.java:75)
        at com.atlassian.crowd.directory.DbCachingDirectoryPoller.pollChanges(DbCachingDirectoryPoller.java:50)
        at com.atlassian.crowd.manager.directory.monitor.poller.DirectoryPollerJob.execute(DirectoryPollerJob.java:34)
        at org.quartz.core.JobRunShell.run(JobRunShell.java:195)
        at org.quartz.simpl.SimpleThreadPool$WorkerThread.run(SimpleThreadPool.java:520)
Caused by: com.atlassian.crowd.exception.InvalidAuthenticationException: Application failed to authenticate
        at com.atlassian.crowd.integration.rest.service.RestExecutor$MethodExecutor.throwError(RestExecutor.java:494)
        at com.atlassian.crowd.integration.rest.service.RestExecutor$MethodExecutor.andReceive(RestExecutor.java:344)
        at com.atlassian.crowd.integration.rest.service.RestCrowdClient.searchUsers(RestCrowdClient.java:511)
        at com.atlassian.crowd.directory.RemoteCrowdDirectory.searchUsers(RemoteCrowdDirectory.java:370)
        ... 10 more

I have double check all our configuration settings and they appear to be correct, all that has recent changed is that we updated the passwords for all our application users (Stash, Jira etc) as part of our security policy.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ben

1 answer

0 votes
Tiago Comasseto
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 12, 2014

Hi Ben

You may test the application authentication access this URL http://YOUR-CROWD-SERVER:8095/rest/usermanagement/1/user?username=USERNAMEthen enter your application name and password.

One other thing that may be interferring in the authentication is the remote addresses setting, you may want to double check the server IP of you application is listed there.

I hope it helps.

Cheers

Ben Scutt August 13, 2014

Hi Tiago, thanks for replying!

I tried to test the application login with the URL you suggested, which did work for our regular users, however I got a "USER_NOT_FOUND" error for our application users (including the ones that can currently sync).

I've checked the remote addresses settings - all of the applications are running on the same server, so I've ensured 'localhost' and 127.0.0.1 are added as the instructions say - still no luck :(

Suggest an answer