Jira and Confluence Application Links - Certificate Too Old

camino200 February 26, 2013

I'm having an issue with an application link between Jira and Confluence. I get a 'Certification Too Old' message in the catalina.out log for Jira.

After testing a couple things, it seem like there is a time difference between the process that calls the application link and the time in Jira/Confluence. Jira and Confluence are installed on the same server. The time in both of those programs are the same as the server (all set to Pacific Standard). If you look at the log below, something is using (reporting) GMT as the timezone.

If I set the 'Certificate Timeout' value on the application link to cover the time difference (set it to 500), everything works. If I set the timeout to the default (10), it doesn't work and I get errors in the log.

Here is the log entry.

Authentication failed for application link Confluence () http://localhost:8090 com.atlassian.applinks.application.confluence.ConfluenceApplicationTypeImpl@2ba4ead2. Response headers: {WWW-Authenticate=OAuth realm="https%3A%2F%2Fconfluence-site.com", Date=Tue, 26 Feb 2013 23:26:29 GMT, Vary=Accept, Content-Length=174, X-Seraph-Trusted-App-Error=OLD_CERT; Certificate too old. Application: {0} Certificate Created: {1} Timeout: {2}; ["jira:16345045","Tue Feb 26 15:26:29 PST 2013","10"], X-Seraph-Trusted-App-Status=ERROR, Connection=close, Content-Type=application/xml, Server=Apache-Coyote/1.1, Cache-Control=no-transform} body: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?><status><status-code>401</status-code><message>Client must be authenticated to access this resource.</message></status>

Jira Version = 5.1.2

Confluence Version = 4.3

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
camino200 July 23, 2014

I forgot about this and should have followed up so other don't waste as much time as I did on simple mistake I made.

I was using the value of '10' and failing to read the textbox description where it notes that the time is in milliseconds (ms). My setting was at 10ms and not 10 seconds. The 10ms was probably too low even if the applications are on the same server.

I set my values to 10000 to get to the equivalent of 10 seconds. I probably could have left it blank to get the default, but I like seeing values set.

Derek Sheeman July 23, 2014

I've been having similar problems, and have cranked my timeouts up past the default to 500000. Thinks seem better, but I'll know more over the next few days.

The canned "your times are different" answer irritates me when up front you say that the aps are on the same server. ;)

2 votes
Faisal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 26, 2013

Hi there,

Normally the Certificate Too Old error will occur when there's a time difference between JIRA and Confluence server. Anyway as an attempt to fix this problem, we could try to the Certificate timeout value in the application link configuration.

We also have a KB article written to address this problem, and you may kindly refer to it for more info on the matter:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/CertificateTooOldException+when+Configuring+Trusted+Communication

I hope that this will help!

Derek Sheeman July 23, 2014

It sure would be nice if you guys actually reviewed someones full question before posting an answer that is negated by the description. The apps are on the same server so there is no time difference, making the KB article completely irrelevant.

Suggest an answer