Jira always asks for re-index on all projects

Xavier Arias May 30, 2016

I see the following warning on all my projects configuration:

We recommend that you perform a re-index, as configuration changes were made to 'Plugins' at 26/May/16 1:50 AM. Get help!

If you have other changes to make, complete them first so that you don't perform multiple re-indexes

I didn't make any change to Plugins, so I don't know why should I do the reindex. I've been making a lot of reindexes and I finally gave up, since they continuously popup again every once in a while.

Why is this happening? Are Plugins autoupdating?

Can I reindex all projects at once?

EDIT: I have noticed that I always perform the re-index system-wide.

3 answers

0 votes
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 18, 2018

Anyone else still seeing this? I last noticed this on an Atlassian Cloud instance, btw.

Tuukka Ilomäki April 5, 2018

We keep seeing it. We have done absolutely no changes in the environment (plugins or other) and still we keep getting this notification.

0 votes
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 8, 2016

I'm also noticing this.

Feature request to Atlassian: after plug-ins autoupdate nightly, allow admins to specify whether they want a background re-index to occur automatically. cheeky

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 30, 2016

Yes, Cloud updates add-ons for you automatically.  But a lot of config actions inside add-ons can require a re-index as well, so it could be something your admins are doing.

You should be able to run a full re-index whenever you want, to cover all projects

I just edited my question to add that I already know how to reindex system-wide.

For the rest, this has happened a lot of times to me and it's a bit annoying.

Could I automatize the re-index process?

Also, I'm the only admin.

Jeremy Gaudet
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 30, 2016

We re-index every Friday evening using a cron job that reaches out to the REST api, and emails our jira-admins group.

For what you say, I assume you're not using JIRA cloud, so you can run cron on your machine directly.

Do you know if I can do that on JIRA cloud?

Jeremy Gaudet
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 31, 2016

You can run cron on any machine, and reach out to JIRA cloud via REST using curl, is my understanding.

Bart Meerveld
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 30, 2016

@Nic Brough [Adaptavist] what if this message appears and i'm on server? Nothing to see in the audit log too.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 31, 2016

Same answer - a plugin update or field change means it may have an index that needs updating.

Suggest an answer