Jira agile not renewed before upgrade

Leena Bakshi August 15, 2017

We are in the process of upgrading our jira 6.4.12 to 7.3.x. However I was going through one of the Atlassian Webinars and there they said that its better to go to 7.0 first and then to 7.3.x. Now my question is that our Jira license is valid till Nov 2017 and however for JIRA AGILE has already expired and it says Renew.

What I am trying to ask here is that do we need to renew the Agile License before we go through the upgrade or can we take care of it after the upgrade.

Thanks

1 answer

0 votes
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 16, 2017

Hi Leena,

I would upgrade the license before upgrading if possible to avoid any issues once the upgrade is complete.  If you have not upgraded yet and you are using a JIRA Software license you can use the JIRA Software license to license Agile before the upgrade.

Cheers,

Branden

Leena Bakshi August 16, 2017

Thank Branden for the reply. but today morning I got slightly different answer as follows, please confirm what is suggested:

"Thank you for the update. As long as you have a valid JIRA Software license you are fine for the upgrade. As of 7.0 JIRA includes Agile as part of Software and no longer needs seperate license."

Do we need to or not update the license for Jira Agile?

Thanks

somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 16, 2017

Hi Leena,

JIRA 7.0+ includes Agile.  If you're getting the error now, in order to prevent any issues with the upgrade I would license Agile, however, when you upgrade you may not get an error. 

I have seen both behaviors which is why I err on the side of caution and make sure all my licenses are up to date for everything before moving forward with an upgrade.

Cheers,

Branden

Leena Bakshi August 16, 2017

I see what you are saying.. better to be safe than sorry 

I havent started the upgrade yet.. its scheduled for next week. However I am doing my groundwork about the licensing and plugins and for Jira Agile add on its RENEW on the manage Add on page. I dont see any errors in Jira right now.. but as you said that its difficult to say how the upgrade will behave.. 

So on a final note.. you are suggesting to renew the agile license just to be on a safe side... because right now I need to bring this addtional cost to the management. 

Thanks

somethingblue
Atlassian Team
August 16, 2017

Since you're going to JIRA Software 7.x you should have a JIRA Software license in your my.atlassian.com page.  Use that license to license Agile. 

When 7.0 came out we provided the ability to license JIRA 6.x Agile plugins with the JIRA Software license so you only need the one license if you have a JIRA Software license at this point. You can use that license to license JIRA and Agile and once you get to 7.x you'll only need to license JIRA Software going forward:

If you renew your license after JIRA Software is released, you'll automatically be given a JIRA Software license (not a JIRA license). Your JIRA Software license will work with both JIRA and JIRA Agile.

Hopefully that makes it a bit more clear.

Cheers,

Branden

Suggest an answer