Jira access problem, blank screen after upgrade

JBennett November 8, 2017

Hi.

I've just upgraded from the latest JIRA 6 to the latest JIRA 6 and the application is no longer working. Initially when I opened JIRA after upgrade it was initializing but then went to a blank page - http://jira:8080/secure/errors.jsp with "JIRA access problem" in the browser title bar.

Can someone help me getting my instance back up and running. Thanks.

3 answers

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 9, 2017

The logs show that you were already running 6.4.14, but that all the startup attempts of this log appear to be trying to start the latest 7.5.2.   You can't upgrade Jira this far in a single upgrade.   There were simply too many changes in the 7.0.x line to be able to properly handler an upgrade of this magnitude. Skipping major versions when upgrading JIRA applications - Atlassian Documentation further notes the need to go to a 7.0.x version first.

Also the Upgrade JIRA 7.2 - JIRA Knowledge Base - Atlassian Documentation explains the steps you can follow to upgrade this older Jira instance.  It's very important that you also upgrade your plugins for Jira on that version (7.0.x) before you go any further.   There are a number of other considerations on that page that are helpful to understand the proper steps to upgrade.

For your immediate recovery, I would recommend the steps in Rollback a Jira upgrade in order to revert this upgrade attempt.

0 votes
JBennett November 9, 2017

https://ufile.io/fcvl9

does this help?thanks

Lars Olav Velle
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 9, 2017

java.net.UnknownHostException: This is usually a temporary error during hostname resolution and means that the local server did not receive a response from an authoritative server

Do you have DNS problems or references to a server name that is no longer existing?

Are you using the standard server.xml or have you re-used that?

If you have re-used it, then apply the original server.xml and make changes accordingly instead of copying it raw.

Lars Olav Velle
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 9, 2017

There are references to .stg which makes me believe this is a test upgrade?

If so, then its probably a good thing that it won´t start.

\\LeopardFS\Intranet\Live_System\Jira_Home looks more like a production name..

0 votes
Lars Olav Velle
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 9, 2017

Sure, we´ll try, but to help you we need more information.

What does the log say?

JBennett November 9, 2017

No problem, where can I find the log?

thanks

Ash
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 9, 2017

Suggest an answer