4 answers

0 votes
Paula Sousa May 31, 2013

hello

sorry to be back to ask, but can not find on the internet is no relationship between JIRA and WfMC.

Can I consider JIRA a Workflow Management System?

thanks

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 31, 2013

I'm not really sure what your question is here, or even why you're asking. Jira has workflows for the data and logical items that it helps to look after. You're looking at an academic abstracted theory. You seem to be trying to warp an arbitrary and generalised abstract definition (albeit quite a well considered one) to match a real-life piece of software that does a job. (Or vice-versa - trying to wedge a real-life system into an abstracted definition). I'm a bit stuck on what your point is here?

0 votes
Paula Sousa May 30, 2013

thank you :)

you know if exist a document that talks about this? so I can use the most credible information.

0 votes
Paula Sousa May 30, 2013

Its a image of this page: http://www.ctg.albany.edu/publications/reports/workflow_mgmt?chapter=3&section=3. I'm sorry for link.

My doubt is whether the jira system follows the conventions of WfMC (that are on that picture). I am developing a report where my job was to configure JIRA to a company.

thanks in advance :)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 30, 2013

Ah, I see.

Well, the short answer is yes. Because it's got a workflow engine, a way of editing it inside the application and it can be used from the outside (Albeit on issues that exist within the application context).

It is missing interface 1 (external definition tools are pretty much non-existent), but that could be done, and it doesn't do anything with interface 4 because that's nonsense in terms of what Jira is for, but the others are there.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 30, 2013

I can't quite follow that - it's just a link to a stack of workflow diagrams. Which one(s) of these do you mean to point us at?

To empower you to answer the question for yourself - Jira's issues all follow workflows. You can define any workflow you want to inside the application. If you want a workflow that matches some pre-defined standard, it's almost certain that you can do it in Jira. If you try it, you'll probably find it can.

Suggest an answer