Jira Webhook not triggered in one transition case only

Brent Webster
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 20, 2014

I'm using a Jira 5.2.11 webhook that fires based on a simple JQL query to update data in another commerical tool through its REST API. That JQL query is

project = Test_Belair and "External IDs" is not empty

It works fine except in one case, when the Jira issue is transitioned from Resolved status back to Open status (i.e. it failed). I've played around with my workflow post-functions and even added a post function to explicitly call the webhook but the webhook is never called. I know this because the first thing I do is call a simple logging routine to write a message to a local file. It worked in all the other scenarios that I'm testing.

When I read the "Known Issues" for Managing Webhooks in 5.2, the only issue that comes close is

Post function web hooks will not fire if added to the Create Issue workflow transition. We recommend that you configure your web hook to fire from the issue_created event instead.

If anyone has some ideas/suggestions that would be great. Most of the existing questions around webhooks don't seem to be answered.

3 answers

0 votes
rodney smith September 12, 2016

No help but I'm seeing the same issue, I have seen in the documentation that the web hook needs to be connected to the issue_created event, but I have no idea how to do that.

0 votes
Brent Webster
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 17, 2014

I really need this one answer so it is time to raise a ticket.

0 votes
Brent Webster
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 10, 2014

I currently have it firing on "All issue events" not just on issue_updated, etc.

I saw the same issue this morning when I created a new issue in my Test_Belair project and populated the "External IDs" custom field. The webhook didn't fire. When I made an edit to this newly created issue then the webhook fired.

No one else is seeing this?

Suggest an answer