Jira, VM, license and upgrade

Ludovico Quercia March 17, 2015

Hi,

I have an old vm with an old version of JIRA (4.4.3).

My support has expired in 11 dic 2012.

Now I need to move vm to a new server and I would create a new fresh installation of JIRA (and import data from previous)

I can upgrade JIRA with all version released before the 11 dic 2012 ( I suppose 5.2.2) ?

It's correct?

And more, If my guess is correct, what is teh best way to upgrade from 4.4.3 ro 5.2.2?

Is better to upgrade old VM to 5.2.2 and then export data already from 5.2.2 to import in new VM, or is better to export old 4.4.3 data and import in new 5.2.2. system, or what else?

Best regards

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 17, 2015

Yes, you can upgrade to any version released before the end of your licence.

4.4.3 to 5.2.2 can be done in one step - see https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Upgrading+JIRA for the details.

Ludovico Quercia March 17, 2015

Hi Nic,

thanks for your  answ.

So as I supposed, I follow the instructions you suggested (and choose the Upgrade an existing JIRA installation ).

After I create new VM with fresh installation of JIRA ad use this other instructions https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Migrating+JIRA+to+Another+Server 

Thanks!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 17, 2015

Well, the actual path is up to you. I find it a lot safer and easier to copy and upgrade, when you have the hardware to do it. A good, safe path is: - Setup Jira on the new server, check it all runs, and do all the upgrade testing you can - Delete all your test data on the new server - Stop Jira on the old server - Copy the data you need over from old to new - Import it all - Perform upgrade - Check it has all worked - If it has, great, use it. - If it has not worked ok, then the old server is still there, untouched, and you can simply restart Jira on it and carry on working while you investigate the failure.

Suggest an answer