Jira User counting as Confluence User

Mandli May 22, 2013

I am using Confluence 5.1.2 and Jira 5.2.8. I have a 25 user Jira license and a 10 user Confluence license. How do I create a Jira user that does not count towards my Conluence license? Because of the Atlassian Crowd User Directory synchronization it finds the new user account even though I have only jira-usesr, jira-developers setup as their groups.

6 answers

2 votes
William Zanchet [Atlassian]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 23, 2013

Hi Brittany,

Just so you know, for an user not count against the license, you just need to take out the user from any groups that the user is in. For example:

William belongs to: confluence-administrators
confluence-users
If I remove William from those groups, William will not count against the license.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

WZ

Mandli May 30, 2013

Unfortunately that did not help. Let me try and explain my situation: I have 10 users in Jira and 10 in Conluence. I create an 11th Jira user with only the following groups:

Why is this counting as an 11th Confluence user?

On a related note how do I create a user that utilizes the Confluence Internal Directory? If I could do that, could I then disable the Remote Jira User Directory?

0 votes
Matthew Kerle January 4, 2015

hi, was there ever a resolution to this issue? we're facing the same one...

0 votes
PetraPensky June 16, 2014

I can't find an answer in the documentation, so please help me to answer the following question...

We plan to use SSL via Crowd for Jira and Confluence with different User-Licenses...

We would like to use automatically-user-insert to jira and confluence.
Are all crowd-Users inserted automatically to all applications or can I roule the insert by group memberships?

Crowd Group Jira-Admin --> Insert User in Jira with correspondig group membership
Crowd Group Jira-User--> Insert User in Jira with correspondig group membership

Crowd Group Confluence-Admin --> Insert User in Confluence with correspondig group membership
Crowd Group Confluence-User --> Insert User in Confluence with correspondig group membership

Thanks in advance.

0 votes
Theinvisibleman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 23, 2013

Hi Brittany,

As J. Caldwell mentioned, it could be that your Crowd is configured to automatically insert the new users into Confluence groups as well? In any case, would it be possible to manually remove them from the groups in Crowd? For more information, I would recommend that you check out this documentation - Managing Group Members

0 votes
Benoit Bordigoni September 23, 2013

Hello,

This issue occured to me, with same licences. I was a bit more violent than Britanny. I remove the crowd connection between confluence and Jira hoping to find original users I created in Confluence before syncing Jira and Confluence.

I cannot log back in Confluence, hence create the crowd connection back and get Jira Users in confluence. I undestand commercial reasons behind all this but I feel a little bit trapped here...

Thanks for your help

0 votes
J. Caldwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 22, 2013

It's in crowd. Your configuration has it set to automatically populate or sync a Jira user into Confluence.

Suggest an answer