Jira User Types

Mithil Shah July 25, 2014

What are different User Types in JIRA? and what are actions each users types can perform?

Example : Admin has full access

What level of accesss does a User have, or a developer have ect?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 25, 2014

Jira's user permission system is far more flexible than just having a "user type"

In some of my client systems, I'm an adminstrator, so you'd think I have "full access". I do. To adminstrative functions. I have no access to the projects or issues. As an admin, I can give myself that access, but my admin rights have nothing to do with my project rights. "Full access" in the way you're probably thinking of it is not implemented in Jira, which is a good thing, because it's a dreadful access model.

I tend to try to separate out "admin" rights from "project" rights. Admin rights are two-level - system admins can change anything, and Jira admins have less power, in that they can only change the way Jira behaves to the users.

Project rights are far more complex (because they're flexible) and depend entirely on the permissions you give on a user, or role, or group, basis. I can be a developer in two projects, and have different rights to each project. It all depends on the permission scheme for the project.

So the answer to "what level of access does a user have" is "whatever you have granted them in your permissions"

0 votes
Daniel Wester
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 25, 2014

Suggest an answer